• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raymarine wheel pilot

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Raymarine wheel pilot

Post by motthediesel »

We added one of those to our 27FC last year, and on the whole, we’re happy with it. The only complaint we’ve had (and from Googling it, I see it’s a common one) is that it is noisy.

As it goes about it’s business of steering us on course, it squeaks, and Squeaks, and SQUEAKS. It’s enough to dive you mad on an extended run. The Raymarine manual says “use no lubricant” — just wash out any accumulated salt with fresh water. Well, we live and boat on fresh water, so salt is not the issue. I decided to take it apart and see if I could figure out what was doing it.

I noticed the the belt tensioners were plastic shafts with plastic bushings/bearings that ran on the belt. I took them off, and saw that one had a chattered/wiped surface inside it. So, I lubricated both on them with a tiny amount of clear silicone (generally safe for plastics) grease. I took it out for a trial and —- blessed silence!

So, I don’t know how many here have the same pilot, or have the same annoying issue, but this worked for us.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Raymarine wheel pilot

Post by tribologist »

As Tribologist…. White lithium grease as you find in autoparts stores used on window regulators etc is good on Nylon parts. SuperLube in the gray tube you find in hardware stores is good too.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”