• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How much chain should a 27 carry?

Albin's "power cruisers"
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

How much chain should a 27 carry?

Post by REO »

Our 27 sport has a horizontal windlass and carries 15 feet of chain and 150 feet of rope. I think that 15 feet of chain is not sufficient for general use. The pile of rope forces the chain to be so close to the windlass entry point that it requires someone pushing the chain around as it enters. I'd like to convert to about 45 feet of all chain, but am concerned about the added weight. I'm also concerned that due to the size and shape of the rather small anchor locker, nothing will work perfectly. I' would love to hear from owners using a windlass. What rode setup works?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: How much chain should a 27 carry?

Post by Norseman »

Never had an Albin 27, but have experience as liveaboard owner with no insurance on a 44’ sailboat in the hurricane belt deep in the Caribbean.
With good anchors and chain you don’t need no stinking insurance, that was my philosophy anyways, because I was young and poor, could not afford insurance, but could afford anchors and chain.
If your cruising grounds are shallow, use all chain, like 1/4” G4 (G4 means high test)
High test are lighter per pound of (breaking)strength than other chains, except G7, never been there, G4 is fine.
On my -28TE I carry 110’ of 1/4” G4. Plenty for Florida and the Bahamas: I usually anchor in 5-7’ of water, but could do 20’ if needed, all chain remember?
If you are in deep water, have at least a boat length of chain, even better: Twice the boat length, the rest 5/8” three strand nylon. Or 1/2”, whatever you feel good with.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

According to Chapman's, the best minimum chain in the rode should be the length of the boat. Chain helps to lay the rode to the sea bed floor. More is always better.

On my 31TE I carry 120 ft. of G4 spliced to 175 ft. of plait line. Had the same when I had my 28TE.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. On my 31TE I carry 120 ft. of G4 spliced to 175 ft. of plait line. Had the same when I had my 28TE.
Yeah, more is better.

On one of my previous boats, a 33’ CSY cutter rigged sloop I had 215’ of 5/16” G4 spliced to 250’ 3/4” three strand nylon: 465’ total rode.
Had big plans but never sailed beyond Florida and the Bahamas.
(9/11 slowed me down, long story but had everything lined up for sailing in deeper waters) :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

I 2nd the Chapman's recommendation. I haven't had the pleasure of anchoring my A25 yet, but I bought I think 35' of high test chain to go with (undecided as yet) rode.

I can't speak to anchor locker accommodations on an A27
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REO »

I get the recommendations on chain length. We carried 400 feet of chain on our 53 foot sailboat. When we were in Alaska some of the anchorages were deep. My issue here is the limited depth and capacity of the Albin 27 anchor locker. I'm curious as to how other 27 owners have set up their anchor rigs. These boats were not designed to carry much anchor gear, and I want to optimize the use of the space I have.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

I carry 25’ feet of chain and ~ 100’ of rope on my 27. Never had a problem holding, but I can usually anchor in 5-10’ and the Chesapeake generally has thick clay/mud bottom. I wouldn’t imagine 45’ of chain is any problem - it should take up less space with a minimal amount extra weight.

The rope/chain splice I have to work through the windless by hand. The splice is larger in diameter and tends to get chewed up by the windless teeth. Thinking about switching to 80-100’ of all chain this winter, but i was a little concerned about the extra weight. It would make things easier and I keep a spare down below with a longer line for deeper anchorages.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Data point: Smackman reported using an all-chain in the YouTube video below. He discusses keeping 30’ on deck for a quick deploy, but it would have been longer for the depths mentioned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kiHTeswrB04
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

My '87 27FC carries 30 feet of 1/4" G4 hi-test and 200' of 1/2" 8-plait nylon rode. I cruise inland waters and rarely anchor in more than 20' of water. That should be the determining factor for you-where are you going to be anchoring? My rode doesn't tangle on retrieval and goes thru the gypsy of my Lewmar 700 easily. DO use 8 plait instead of 3-strand though! Ben
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REO »

We have the Lewmar 1000 pro fish windlass. It uses 5/16 G4 chain and 9/16" -3 strand rope. The splice is factory made and goes through the windlass with no problem. Everything is in like new condition, just not enough chain. Our boat is on a new trailer, and we have a slip in Naples Florida. We also want to cruise the inland waters of eastern Canada. Maybe some of the great loop. I expect no deep water anchorages.
It seems like 50 feet of chain and 100 feet of rope could be a good compromise. I'd like to just add the chain to my current set up and cut the rope to a length that fits in the anchor locker. Practical Sailor recommends using a Crosby connector link to add more chain. I have done that before and had good luck, but I have not been able to find a supplier for that size link. Anybody know who sells these links?
Ambler, thanks for the link. It was an interesting tour.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We inherited 26 ft of chain + 250 ft of three strand 5/8ths (?) nylon rode attached to a 10 kg Bruce (genuine Bruce, not a knock off claw). That has served us well.

All chain is obviously the best choice, but for a small boat total weight of ground tackle becomes an issue.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Our 27 has 50’ of 5/16” chain, then 150’ of 5/8” three strand nylon. The chain is great, but I hate the rope. It constantly kinks and jams coming of of the hawser hole. It also doesn’t lay down nice in the chain locker, and with the small space we have, that is a problem. I think I’d like to replace it with 8 plait or braid.
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by REO »

I looked up the specs. for my windlass, and it will accept 8 plait. I agree that the 3 strand is a problem. Ours bunches up and is a mess much of the time. I'm now leaning toward 60 feet of chain and maybe 100 feet or less of 8 plait. Anchoring in more than 20 feet should be a rare occasion. The question is weight. How much chain is too much?
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Re: weight in the bow

Our 27FC always floats somewhat “bow down”. I noticed that when I ran out the chain to measure it on our dock, the bow came up about an inch. So that’s the effect of 50’ of 5/16” chain in our case, your results may vary :D
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The 8 plait lies much better than 3 strand or braid. It doesn't hockle , takes less space than either of the other two and it doesn't stiffen up with age or sun. I used 1/4" G4 to save weight and it's still overkill on strength for a boat of our size. Ben '87 27FC

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”