• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 under-engine limber holes

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A25 under-engine limber holes

Post by nebulatech »

I think the lack of a self bailing cockpit is what most prevents it from being an offshore boat. Fixing that is on my list. Major undertaking though. Not for a few years. I would also like draining hinged lids on the lazarettes.

I suspect there is a hollow cavity under the engine bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Borescope-Inspec ... 09BHY6MYQ/

I just ordered one of these. It will be at my house tomorrow, though I won't. $40. Hope it works!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That borescope looks interesting. A couple well placed tubes could obviate daily removal of engine cover for us. Thanks!
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

I think this is correct as well. What I don't know is if the cavity under the engine bed is connected or open to the conduit between the fore/aft main bilge of the boat. I think this is also true, at least incidentally, but that would mean that enough water in the bilge would end up making it's way into the cavity under the engine.

Goes both ways, I can't see the purpose of a cavity that doesn't drain or circulate air, but I also can't see the value in that cavity being connected to main bilge as an air pocket or larger bilge water storage volume.

Someone with a lot more time and a junk hull could shed a lot of light on this, but otherwise hard to tell definitively.
nebulatech wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 am
I suspect there is a hollow cavity under the engine bed.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Good points. The keel is open at the bilge area and must be open at the shaft log area until the log is place. The whole keel could have been wide open at manufacture and then sealed up when components were added. Interesting though, if you reach your hand under and between the two rectangular air vents in the engine compartment, there is no deep recess into a hollow keel.

"Someone with a lot more time and a junk hull could shed a lot of light on this, but otherwise hard to tell definitively." I have an itchy sawzall...

As to the tube from the front...I don't think it has any sideholes, or tees connecting other areas. I have rodded it out with various wires and flexible tubes and never hung up on anything. Nebulatech's borescope will verify that. Or mine...that looks like a worthwhile tool to add to the collection. I can think of all kinds of uses for that.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nebulatech, das Boot is now sitting on the trailer next to the house and there is a distinctly different sound to the hull portions fore and aft of the deep bilge drain section, using the knuckle knock test. They may both be full of water, but that would be another problem. I suspect they are not hollow.

Having not long ago thoroughly dried out the hidden space between the two engine vent holes, I expected it to be completely dry, though I did get a bit aggressive hosing her down. (Note: the new vent covers on the rear deck are well above the rim of the rubrail on the deck but they are a bit exposed under the cover.) Not so fast, grasshopper. It is, once again, thoroughly dry now. And we've got two inches of rain coming. I shall keep you updated.

I was going to ask for a report on the borescope but decided to order my own. There will soon no longer be any hidden spaces on the WillieC. Still looking for that lost shaker of salt.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Plum76 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 am So, the little ~2" plug at the aft end of the engine bilge (in the bottom) has started to flake out in my bilge, was planning on cleaning out and replacing with epoxy, any reason to do anything different? It appears to be a filler of some sort, not like fiberglass (no fibers in mine at least), and I suspect it's coming apart is the source of my trace of engine oil making it into the main bilge.

Any thoughts on that?

Plum
According to the drawings, its filled with vermiculite and resin
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

That's consistent which what was chipping out. I popped out anything that was loose (lower layers still solid) and topped with West Systems thickened epoxy to reseal.

Jason
tribologist wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:59 am
Plum76 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 am So, the little ~2" plug at the aft end of the engine bilge (in the bottom) has started to flake out in my bilge, was planning on cleaning out and replacing with epoxy, any reason to do anything different? It appears to be a filler of some sort, not like fiberglass (no fibers in mine at least), and I suspect it's coming apart is the source of my trace of engine oil making it into the main bilge.

Any thoughts on that?

Plum
According to the drawings, its filled with vermiculite and resin
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"Mind you my last boat was an offshore Nordhavn"
That would be my last boat too, ha ha! :-)
nordhavn-52-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

The borescope works pretty well. Haven't made it to the boat yet, but it does a fine job checking under the couch.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes it does work just fine, Now if I could only keep the camera from running smack into "detritus" in all those hidey holes. I need to come up with an easy to clean cover.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”