• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stuffing box repair

Albin's "power cruisers"
Coonneck
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bay St Louis Mississippi

Stuffing box repair

Post by Coonneck »

Need help with stuffing box repair. As you can see by the pictures I need to replace the clamps and the hose on the stuffing box on my new 27FC. I loosesened the packing gland nut and slid it forward and I also took out the one set screw (one is missing)out of the coupling on the shaft at the transmission. I could not slide the shaft back but I also did not try very hard. So my question to anyone that has done this is do you have any tips on how to get the shaft out of the coupler? Any tips on any part of this operation would also be welcomed. I also need the outside diameter of the stuffing gland and fiberglass tube so I can order a new hose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Re: Stuffing box repair

Post by motthediesel »

Here's a link to how I pulled my shaft coupling: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12234

I used an old OMC outboard flywheel puller. They work great if you can borrow one from somewhere. If you were a little closer to NNY I'd come on over and give you a hand. :D

Amazon has one for $30, but it won't work in this case, as it only has 3 holes. The real original has a four hole circle too, which is what is needed for this job. Those are available on Ebay for about $100.

The other problem I had when pulling my shaft was getting it to go through the stern cutless bearing. There was a build-up of crud on the shaft inside the stern tube, and when I pulled it out it destroyed the bearing by pulling the rubber liner right out. So that had to be replaced as well. Maybe you'll have better luck, but my bearing probably needed replacement anyway.

Tom
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

No idea on the dimensions, but as far as getting the shaft out of the coupler goes, unbolt the two halves of coupler at the transmission and slide it apart, then add in a spacer like a nut or something that is smaller around than the shaft, center it and reinstall the bolts and bolt the two halves back together. Tighten it evenly and gently and use the bolts to push the shaft out of the coupler. Also spray it liberally with pb blaster
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

The above method will sometimes work, but use caution. The transmission coupler half on my boat is made up of four separate ears, not a full disc. If your coupler is not too stubborn, you may be OK doing that, but I was afraid that the ears could be broken or bent by using them as a puller.

Not to be a "nay-sayer" but I've had too many "oh s**t!" moments in my long wrenching career. :cry:
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

motthediesel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:34 pm The above method will sometimes work, but use caution. The transmission coupler half on my boat is made up of four separate ears, not a full disc. If your coupler is not too stubborn, you may be OK doing that, but I was afraid that the ears could be broken or bent by using them as a puller.

Not to be a "nay-sayer" but I've had too many "oh s**t!" moments in my long wrenching career. :cry:
Absolutely!!! Thank you for pointing that out, I should have been a bit clearer on using caution with that method. Easy and gentle is always best.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Easy and gentle is always best.
That's what she said!! :lol:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy