• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aft railings - how tall?

Albin's "power cruisers"
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Aft railings - how tall?

Post by SalishAire »

Since I hope to have stainless rail material left after my current project is complete (cockpit enclosure) - I'm pondering putting aft rails on Hyacinth. Can someone who has the rails that are "just right" let me know how tall they are.

Thanks
Norman Gregory
A25
Hyacinth
Lacey, Washington USA
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Aft railings - how tall?

Post by dkirsop »

The last thing I did before pulling my boat for winter was fabricate a stern rail and aft ladder to access the swim grid and dinghy. Once the wind dies down I will loosen the tarp to confirm the height and post a few pictures. I believe I settled on 22" for the railing height.

I used 7/8" stainless tubing and a 3/4" conduit bender to shape the rail. I have neither the tools nor talent for stainless welding so I used standard fittings with set screws to fasten it all together and it has come together as a very sturdy rail.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The aft rails are about 26 inches off the deck to top of rail. Ours are the wrap around style with a single cable gate in the center. They feel safe...enough, or we are just used to it. There is not much room so everything feels constrained back there, but the height works for aiding in loading our dinghy when it goes on the BC hardtop. We also have a rail mounted grill which is a bit of a pain to use unless you are dockside. I'll be altering that also, if I ever finish the work on the hardtop/radar installation.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's what the stock early model stern rail looks like on our boat. Some later deLuxe models added a split stern rail. They are about the same height as the bow pulpit. Ours also came with life lines, probably an option as part as the sail rig kit. Some folks don't like lifelines but I do. I added the extra pair of struts/stanchions as part of the lift davit installation.
20210819_102640.jpg
Here's the later model split stern rail on a 1978 boat that we looked at back in 2012 but didn't buy. I would consider something like this. Much easier to access a swim platform. I'm temped to modify ours to that shape but the existing design plus the life lines helps support the lift davits.
Albin (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Here are some photos of my finished project. The railing height is 22.5" to the underside of the top rail.

The deck flanges are through bolted on the outer edge and screwed on the inner edge as the hull/deck joint does not permit through bolting at this location. The finished product is quite strong with no noticeable deflection.
Qtr Aft.jpeg
Port Strn Qtr.jpeg
Stbd Stern Qtr.jpeg
Port Side Aft.jpeg
Ladder.jpeg
Side Deck Mount.jpeg
Stern Deck Mount.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

The original drawings are posted on the maritime history museum pages. I am not 100% sure this were teh actual ones. Sometimes the drawings were proposals or sketches or just early editions.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Drawings duly saved to my collection. In the middle drawing with what appears to be davits and a teak platform over the aft cabin the text at the the top reads "Om akter lanternan placeras har kan ledningen dras genom davertens under ror in I akterruffen genom hal I basplattan". Which if the translator function in MS Word is correct translates to "If the stern [lantern?] is placed, the wire can be pulled through the davits [?] under rowing into the aft sleeve through the slip in the base plate" or something to that effect.

Is the translation more or less correct Ulf? Mine appears to be pretty close to that top 1969 drawing, except with the extensions to attach to the life lines. I considered modifying the stern rail to something like the annotated sketch at bottom to make it a step through like dkirsop's, but the stern rail going all the way across as built is part of the support structure for the davits. Also with the lifelines clipped to the stern rail also gives extra support to the davits, transmitting some of the stress up to the bow rail when the dinghy is carried. The angled support stanchions circled in red were added as part of the davit kit & which came with the Garhauer davits. Just had to be cut to fit.
20161029_135533edit.jpg

I see Dave (dkirsop) has snap davit latches on his stern rail. We had that too with our Boatex dinghy until that time off Nelson Island north of Garden Bay on the Sunshine Coast in 2016 when a wave caught the dinghy & tore it off & swamped it.
At bham dock.jpg
20160626_202426.jpg

Ulf (tribolgist) didn't see our dinghy on the davits because we left it on the truck in Tonawanda since it wouldn't be needed on the canal.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Yes. Google Translate does pretty good with Swedish does not seem to know ” dävert”

Getting the dots right is important.. i åäö makes a difference

Om akterlanternan placeras här kan ledningen dras genom dävertens undre rör in i akterruffen genom hålet I basplattan".

Har=Have
Här= Here
Hal=Slippery
Hål=Hole
Ror=Rowing. (Like rowing the dinghy)
Rör=Pipe, tube or stir.

If the stern lantern is placed here, the cable can be pulled through the diver's lower tube into the stern ruff through the hole in the base plate ".
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Helps having a native Swedish speaker on board. Those dots & little circle superscripts are a mystery to me!

What does the A[little circle] R in the lower right corner of the brass plate mean? Only the A-25 model and 736 serial/hull number on our brass plate are stamped. the AR space was left blank. Is there any significance to that?
DSCN3677.JPG
An old Swedish language movie with subtitles ran on TCM the other day. Such a different language! I applaud anyone who can learn & transition from Swedish to English.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

År is year. You have to watch some Ingemar Bergman movies. ” A man called Ove” and the Swedish versions of the girl with a dragon tatoo are good too!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well, we know 1971 was the year. Last year before HIN numbers had to be engraved on the transom of boats sold new in the US.

I didn't pay much attention to the title, but I think Ingrid Bergman was in the one I watched some of. Didn't stick with the whole movie though. Besides Casablanca she was in "For Whom The Bell Tolls, with Gary Cooper" which was also on TCM recently.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Lol. Ingrid Bergman vs Ingemar Bergman sure put you in different mode..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct