• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Hard Top

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: New Hard Top

Post by Ambler27FC »

Thanks DA,

Your comment on professionalism suggest I took the pictures at just the right angles. The seam with the factory hardtop is complicated since the profile of the factory hard-top has warped a little over the past few decades. Still work to do, but hope to get it to the point where a casual observer won't notice. I'll always see the joint though.

I am doing built-in screens, but was going to put the screens on the outside so that you can roll-up the panels from the inside. I had this feature on my previous curtains and it was very nice, with no water seeping in if you do it right. I've given up on the vinyl windows though - too bulky to store and I can see well enough through the screens. As you say - it's about privacy on the dock and keeping the bugs out.

I'm docked at the base across the river - most convenient access to the bay in this area.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Fun fact: Two late uncles of mine on my mother's side, one was her older brother and the other the husband of a much older sister were both in the Navy & stationed at NAS Patuxent River during WW2. The uncle by marriage was a career test pilot who later retired with rank of commander. His and my aunt's ashes are interred in Arlington Cemetery. I have an 8x10 glossy print of both uncles in a group photo in front of what looks like a pre- production test prototype F4U-1 Corsair fighter plane painted in white with no markings other than a cartoon dog's head inside a ring .
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

We have yacht and lobster boat builders near us. With a call in advance, we have gotten fresh resin or gel coat at a fair price. (They are good to locals.). Fresh resin is always the way to go. If there are any boat manufacturers near you it may be worth a call.

Also, I have gotten yacht build cut outs from the land fill in the past— some pretty good sized, enough to do foam filled box shaped seats in a dingy rebuild for a friend. (These, from the deck layup cutouts for hatch openings, etc.). This saved all sorts of layup. I only had to do fillet joints, well taped with epoxy and tape. Currently I have the fiberglass back end off a fifth wheel— nice and flat in the center and wide. Considering using this to do a removable hardtop on our A25. Not sure if you can find anything in your area to repurpose, but it is an idea to consider.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I like the recycle fiberglass idea! There are lots of uses on these old boats. I had considered it for properly installing through-hulls but haven't got that far yet.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Burton,

Well this project is effectively done, but good thoughts for the next project.

Concur 110% on the fresh resin, and I would not buy from a hardware store. I bought online from the manufacturer and always expensed in 1-2 months.

I have thought about recycling old fiberglass panels too! Would have been super lucky to find a very large and mostly flat part for this job though (around here anyway). Would take a lot of time with a grinder to bevel joints and join separate pieces. Out of the 11 gallons of resin required, 9 gallons were expensed in 2 days on probably a 20+ work-day job. The glass was easy - the mold, detail work, and prep took all of the time. But reuse is a noble exercise.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"The glass was easy - the mold, detail work, and prep took all of the time. But reuse is a noble exercise."
....and satisfying. Yes. A learning experience? Yes. Fun? Maybe. Would want to do another one? No. Glad I did ours? Yes. It's held up well in the 7 years since completed and a major improvement over what came with the boat when we first took ownership in 2014. I bought the resin, mat and other supplies from an aptly named specialty fiberglass supply store "Sticky Stuff Sales" in Glendale, AZ. Mine only took 2 gallons of isothalic resin of which I has some left over. Then again my hard top was much smaller.

DSCN1916R (1024x768).jpg
DSCN1914R (500x375).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”