• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Video Posting of Desolation Sound

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

New Video Posting of Desolation Sound

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just put up link down on the Albin Cruising/Cruising forum page to a YouTube video I've been working on, covering the Desolation Sound Cruise we buddy boated with WillieC back in 2018. Enjoy!
LaDolceVitaCruising.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poewLOldXyA&t=5s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Re: New Video Posting of Desolation Sound

Post by jerridsc »

Just watched your video presentation. Very nicely done. Inspirational. A long drive from Wisconsin with my A25. Hopefully someday.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

A long drive from Wisconsin with my A25. Hopefully someday.
It's a shorter drive from Blanchardville to Bayfield, WI & the Apostle Islands, 370 miles, an easy one day run. Friends of ours purchased a 1978 Southern Cross 31 cutter rigged sailboat up there that was docked in Bayfield, WI. Last July they endeavored to sail it all the way to the east coast (too big to trailer) via Lakes Superior, Huron, & Erie, thence the Erie Canal & Hudson River. They made it across Lake Superior, through the Soo Locks and down Lake Huron as far as Bay City, MI when they had to stop & lay it up due to some health & mechanical issues. We were supposed to meet them in Tonawanda, NY at the west end of Erie Canal, which of course they never made it to. We went on & met "tribologist" with his A25 "Driftless" (one hull number off from ours) and went as far a Syracuse before stopping at Onondaga Lake & hauling out & returning home due to lousy weather (hot, humid, remnants of tropical storms Henri & Ida). Then last November our they hired a boat mover & had their Southern Cross "Sea Dragon" transported 1,900 miles over the road out here to our local lake in AZ & put it in storage in a boat yard while they work to fix a number of issues including an engine with a cracked block that was leaking oil. Once repairs are complete this spring or summer they plan to have it transported on out to Washington State to home port it somewhere on Puget Sound, perhaps Anacortes or La Connor depending on where they can find the best deal.
SouthernCross.jpg
20211116_101600.jpg
20211116_120554.jpg

You could also do Erie Canal like we did last summer. That was a 2,400 mile road trip each way for us and a very expensive trip. We usually boat camp in RV parks but it was so hot & muggy we stayed in hotels instead, which doubled our lodging costs. Tonawanda is only 700 miles from Blanchardville, easily a two day drive, half the distance it takes us to get to Blaine. If so I would advise going earlier in the season than we did (canal opens for navigation in mid May), like early June, before it gets too hot & muggy. We started on the canal on August 7th last year, only because we were tied to our friends' anticipated arrival since they didn't start their passage from Bayfield until July 4th. Or in the fall when the weather cools off, in which case before mid October when the canal closes for the season. I'll have to work on putting together a video for that 2021 trip now that I have some cool video editing software.
20210808_134746.jpg
20210819_102640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jerridsc »

I'll look forward to seeing that trip video. My plan, after doing some local cruising
with my outboard driven Albin25, is to do the loop. I’d launch at Kenosha, Wi. and head South sometime in the Fall, not this year though. I've enjoyed all your posts.
Stay Well
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Be careful trailering with the weight of the outboard hanging off the back. That's a lot of stress bouncing up & down on the road plus how it might affect tongue weight. If you find your trailer starting to fishtail you may have a problem with weight distribution. That's why we put the dinghy on the back of the truck & when we had our Catalina 25 sailboat with a 95 lb Tohatsu 8HP 4 stroke outboard we always took that off the boat & carried in the pickup bed.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jerridsc »

Thank you for the tips. I’m going to measure my tongue weight to see if it falls within the proper parameters. As far as the motor back there, i built the support system as stoutly as I could. If it isn’t sufficient, I’m out.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”