• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

governor AD21

Albin's "power cruisers"
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

governor AD21

Post by realslimshady »

Anyone familiar with the governor on the AD21? The last couple of trips on Lydia the engine has behaved as normal for the first hour, but after stopping for a while and then restarting the throttle response has become...erratic.
The first time, as I headed back at 1400 rpm, I opened the throttle to the stop and nothing happened. I disengaged drive, tried again and with no load the engine revved to 2300 and when I re-engaged the prop she behaved as normal.
Then it did the same thing last week, seemed to clear with a bit of a 'buzz', but when we got back to the pontoon it seemed like the throttle had no effect as I was docking her.
Haven't had chance to do any investigation yet, but the governor seems the most likely culprit...unless you nice people have any other suggestions?
Engine is running perfectly sweetly.
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Re: governor AD21

Post by honza »

I would suspect the cable linkage. Try to control the engine directly with the hood open.
Jan
Slow Poke A25 #1110
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I would suspect fuel issues before the governor. Dirt in the tank entering/blocking the fuel pickup under high demand and falling away under load is one possibility. Also, when you remove the load the engine can easily rev high with low fuel supply because the load is low. Other delivery issues can arise from blocked/collapsing hoses, dirt in fuel filters, damaged pump diaphragm, etc.

The governor is a very rugged piece of equipment and not prone to failure. Not saying it can't happen, just that failure is low on the probability list.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

meant to say "falling away under low load"
Hull No. 1013, 1971
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

Post by realslimshady »

dkirsop wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:10 pm

The governor is a very rugged piece of equipment and not prone to failure. Not saying it can't happen, just that failure is low on the probability list.
that's encouraging :-)

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”