• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Farewell to Captain Vic (Mary Jo)

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Farewell to Captain Vic (Mary Jo)

Post by Bearkeley »

Wanted to share Captain Vic’s obituary below.

https://lufkindailynews.com/obituaries/ ... d064f.html

Many on the forum know Captain Vic from his multi-year refit and buildout of an Albin 27FC ( the Mary Jo)’s custom hardtop extension / salon.

We have been fortunate to have purchased Mary Jo from Captain Vic 5 years ago. She has been our home for about two years and a source of joy as we traveled over 5,000 miles up and down the ICW, the Chesapeake Bay and our last adventure, completing the Florida Loop. When we first started cruising, Captain Vic was the calming voice of experience on the phone, offering advice and support and a bit of humor as we struggled with all the things new cruisers struggle with. We have kept in touch over the years, sharing photos of our adventures and when we didn’t hear back from him, found out that he had passed. He will be missed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Farewell to Captain Vic (Mary Jo)

Post by Nancy »

Fair winds and calms seas, Captain Vic! Thanks for letting us know Bearkeley. Very nice obituary - such an interesting life well-lived.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Reading Captain Vic's obit page yesterday, which today seems to have expired & the details don't show up on the linked page anymore, it appears he was an extraordinary individual who led an extraordinary life. Bearkeley you were blessed to have known him. As always, Albin owners are the best. R.I.P Captain Vic.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thank you for sharing. He is missed.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Oh no! Captain Vic!

Just reading this now. So sad.

Shortly after I joined AOG, Vic started emailing me out of the blue, asking questions about my 27FC, many years ago. Since then we’ve must have exchanged hundreds of emails over the years.

After finishing the “Mary Jo” he started working on his latest project - a smaller boat he called the “Old Geezer” or “OG” for short, built from scratch. After 3 years and with the boat nearly finished, he suffered a health scare and decided his days working on the OG were done. He forwarded the project on to his son to finish.

After I had sold my 27FC and bought my A25, Vic used to always ask how my work on “Albin Jr” was going. He was also good with family advice. ‘Nuff said. He was a man of many talents, for sure.

Vic never answered my last email. I had a feeling something happened.

Will miss you Vic.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

3FA1FFFB-1E2D-41F0-8E4F-0504F718E224.jpeg
Captain Vic, the “OG” and friends.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

hetek wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:43 pm Oh no! Captain Vic!

Just reading this now. So sad.

Shortly after I joined AOG, Vic started emailing me out of the blue, asking questions about my 27FC, many years ago. Since then we’ve must have exchanged hundreds of emails over the years.

After finishing the “Mary Jo” he started working on his latest project - a smaller boat he called the “Old Geezer” or “OG” for short, built from scratch. After 3 years and with the boat nearly finished, he suffered a health scare and decided his days working on the OG were done. He forwarded the project on to his son to finish.

After I had sold my 27FC and bought my A25, Vic used to always ask how my work on “Albin Jr” was going. He was also good with family advice. ‘Nuff said. He was a man of many talents, for sure.

Vic never answered my last email. I had a feeling something happened.

Will miss you Vic.
He didn’t answer my email either so decided to google him and that’s when I found his obituary. He was a great guy. We also just sold our Mary Jo to a nice couple who were former owners of an A27 out of Punta Gorda. He may name her Blue Crab. We are very sad to see Mary Jo go, but so glad she will be used and appreciated.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”