• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo-penta MD 17D starter

Albin's "power cruisers"
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mid-coast Maine

Volvo-penta MD 17D starter

Post by LydiaS »

My rebuild project on A25 #1729 (formerly Tortoise, to be Lydia S) is coming along nicely, now that the Maine winter has eased it's grip. A fairly major issue is the rusted out Starter on my MD17D engine. What seemed a simple research mission has turned into quite a quest.
I hope that among the vast talent on this forum, someone might have an idea of a re-man supplier, or even better, a salvageable Bosch starter.
The Bosch # seems to be 0 001 315 002: the VP # is 838060.
Please help out an old boat-bum on what may be my last boat.
Rudy
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Volvo-penta MD 17D starter

Post by tribologist »

There is one here for $200 https://www.ebay.com/itm/384388886344 It looks like 833669 is a good PN for that engine too.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

Thanks Tribologist, ordered it; with luck it will match up. Step by step.
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

Thanks to Tribologist, my MD17D has a starter. It is the same Bosch # as the ball of rust I removed (despite 3 national parts houses denying that # existed).
A big step; I am grateful for your help.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

How is Lydia S, AKA Tortoise coming. Is she getting back in the water this summer?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
LydiaS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LydiaS »

Progress is being made, but there is yet much to be done. A launch this year is unlikely, the engine is back on the beds, has run briefly, cockpit flooring is framed out, most of the interior is reinstalled, all the major F/G repair completed.
This morning I will take some photos, see if I can outsmart the internet to get them posted. The support of AOG has been invaluable, thanks to all.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Very happy to hear it ran for you. Your boat is looking great!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Awesome! That boat is so iconic since its one of the first thing you find when searching Albin 25. I tried several times to contact the owner of that site but nothing... It looked quite ok when I saw it in Weathersfield, CT back in may 2018, fair amount of water damage on the wood but engine was free. Looking forward to see some pictures. Its possible to post straight from the phone actually.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”