• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 exhaust outlet below waterline

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

A25 exhaust outlet below waterline

Post by Burton »

Anyone with exhaust above the waterline? Anyone change it from below the waterline to above?

"Slow Motion" still had the rubber "football" when we got it, and we removed it and put in new exhaust hose from the water injection elbow to the transom. She's wicked loud. We bought the new style Vetus NLPH muffler and find it calls for the exhaust outlet in the transom to be at least two inches ABOVE the waterline. Ours is a good two inches BELOW the waterline. We've not had any problems... so far. We've got 10" height from the water injection point on the exhaust to the waterline. (Yanmar 3JH3E).

All the installation diagrams show another waterlock muffler near the transom, the gooseneck type, abaft of the new NLPH. (The NLPH is horizontally oriented, looks like a car muffler...sorta.)

I put a flapper type exhaust outlet on the exhaust, and we've never had any problems yet, but sure don't want any.

Advice requested: do I add another "gooseneck" type waterlock muffler near the transom. And, do I change the location of the exhaust outlet to above the waterline?

Thanks to all for any input.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 exhaust outlet below waterline

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I forget, is yours an early model with exhaust on port side or later with exhaust on starboard?

Ours has exhaust on port side very close to the water line. We have a Yanmar engine with Vernalift muffer with inline check valve a foot or so inboard of the exhaust outlet & have never had a problem with it. It helps that we have a persistent slight starboard list, especially as the amount of fuel in the tank decreases, which helps lift the exhaust outlet above the water line some.

The first Albin 25 we looked at in 2012 when shopping for a powerboat was a 1977 (or '78?) deLuxe that had the starboard side exhaust outlet below the water line, which was one of several issues that scared us off from buying it. I suppose if it concerns you then you could install an elbow & extension either inside or outside of the hull, the latter being more feasable if you have a swim platform to attach it to.
Albin (1280x960).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Yes, starboard side… decided it best to move it up and glass in the lower hole— just ordered a combo riser/muffler/water lock by Vetus. Of course I did a great job when we got the boat, of putting in the new outlet with lots of 5200 when we got rid of the “football”. Oh joy. Also ordered the exhaust hose temp alarm.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The exhaust temp alarm is fantastic. I have tested impellers with it on multiple occasions. I re jiggered that alarm to go off on low oil pressure also so I don’t have to keep my eyes glued to that gauge. I have one more space that I have thought of installing a position switch on the engine seacock. (See above…”impellers”.) I could also hook up my new external voltage regulator to sound the audible, but that system goes into warning if your beer starts to warm up. I’ll be watching my new electrical system closely regardless until I figure out how much attention it requires.

As to the 5200…it was a good idea at the time. I have heard a little heat might help. Easy now.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I placed my exhaust temperature alarm on the exhaust discharge elbow about two inches above the exhaust hose. The metal exhaust will heat up far quicker than the hose in the event of no cooling water discharge. The alarm is great and has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

If you can soak a towel in boiling water and place it around/on the 5200 it will soften nicely. A good pair of barbecue/kitchen tongs will help immensely when doing this.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

Thanks everyone! I just found a debonder for 5200. Wicked expensive though. West Maroon sells it. Great advice on the temp sender location! So I will have the Vetus NLPG and NLPH as they recommend— sure hoping it cuts the noise level down a bunch.
pelpel
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Mill Bay, BC, Canada

Post by pelpel »

Hello, intrigued about the exhaust alarm, could you provide make and model please?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... &id=744173#

Here is what we are using on the WillieC. It is mounted exactly as Mr. K describes, on the exhaust elbow above the hose.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

pelpel wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm Hello, intrigued about the exhaust alarm, could you provide make and model please?
It’s the one by Vetus. It is a serious thing to have a lack of cooling, as we all know. Great idea to mount the sending unit in metal. We’ve hit some big patches of floating rock weed without the alarm and worried.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Be careful.. there are a few thousand albins thats been running for up and over 50 years with no issues. The football never have a working checkvalve after a few seasons. The water level in the system can go as high as the lowest point of the outlet.. if you lift it, you are lifting the water in the system. If you insist on lifting it, now you need a lift muffler and a goose neck. The vetus will be fine just as is. Many people use them.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”