• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bed Sheets Albin 27 Trawler

Albin's "power cruisers"
Stapper
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Lagoon City

Bed Sheets Albin 27 Trawler

Post by Stapper »

Our Albin is almost ready to launch.
I am wondering if forward cabin beding can be ordered or if I should make some. :(
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Bed Sheets Albin 27 Trawler

Post by Ambler27FC »

With an old boat (or perhaps any boat) a sewing machine can be a real money saver. You could repurpose standard sheets with minimal work and skill. I haven’t heard of custom bedding, but if it exists it could cost more than the type of machines made to repair canvas. Best luck.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"minimal work and skill." My new sewing mantra. Thanks!
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Yup. There are 1000 things to see out there, and if you ever find yourself judging stitching a mistake has been made.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

For sewing machine sea-stories I highly recommend the make-and-mend doings of Smacksman on AOG and YouTube.

Being an old diesel submariner, i find sleeping bags and liners to be most efficacious and eminently washable.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Thanks for the reminder of a great guy, Smacksman. Love his videos and attitude.

Having wrestled with sewing my own sheets and mattress pad, quite the undertaking for a novice with no skill and rabid aversion to work, I like the idea of bags. It's just that the important half of the team prefers sheets...

My creations would work fairly well if I had a full walk-around vee-berth, then I wouldn't have a vee of course. They are just a major pain to tuck in and wrap around the corners and try to achieve some semblance of a quarter bouncing made-up bed. Maybe if I trimmed the foam a bit, resewed the whole mess...nah! Good enough. The new foam is going to be quite nice.

We opted to leave the foam one piece and keep the bed made up, rather than tearing it down every morning for a place to sit at table. We have a nice set up in the pilot house with table, windows and adequate seating. But in doing so, I no longer have semi-easy access to the big red lid of the potable water tank. We also have an aux PW tank that is connected by 1/2" pex with undersize/restrictive connectors. Big mistake which I may fix in another lifetime. The problem is when you fill the tank from the deck fitting, the main tank fills up as fast as you want to force it, but it takes time to equalize to the aux tank, so it overflows the big red lid and spills into the bilge, mostly, with some making its way onto the cabin sole. Previously we were able to keep an eye on the big red lid so we didn't overflow it. Add more water. Wait. Repeat.

The fix is a tube I added that reaches the aft edge of the bed into which I stick my endoscope that gives me the worm's eye view of the big red lid from the ease and comfort of just about anywhere on the boat. Batteries not included. Sure I get a little bit of slop but not gallons anymore.

Now if I could hook the endoscope to the NMEA 2000 backbone I could watch it all on the plotter!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”