• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2022 Launching of the WillieC

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: 2022 Launching of the WillieC

Post by dkirsop »

I just hauled my boat for winter. Here is a picture of my Type B prop anode. Before I started hanging a shaft anode over board it would disappear by haulout time. Now it is 50% intact on haulout. I hang a large anode attached to a #10 wire that I over the side when moored. The other end of the wire attaches to the prop shaft with a large alligator clamp. My large anode lasts about 4 years.
Type B Prop Anode.jpeg
Looks like I have a few barnacle to clean off the prop and rudder skeg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I would go that route, maybe, if I had enough room in front of the rudder to do so. I don’t. I really think the divers dream transom mounted anode is going to be how I go. Though this recent shaft anode did quite well for the second half of our season. Maybe it’s those BC waters eating my zincs! A contribution I’ll gladly make.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Dave,

What's the dimension spec on your prop nut anode? How does the anode attach, is it tapped into the end of the prop shaft? How much space do you have between the end of the shaft and the leading edge of the rudder?

Here's what my prop looks like. Not enough room on the shaft ahead of the prop to mount a zinc collar. PO's mounted a zinc on the rudder skeg, but what good would that do? We're never docked in the water for long enough to worry about zincs. Even if we wet slipped in our fresh water lake aluminum anodes would be the right choice. Nasty little barnacles there!
DSCN3631crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The prop nut anode bolts onto a matching proprietary shaft nut. You initially purchase a prop nut and anode and then just replace the anode after that. I do not know if the previous owner had the shaft re-threaded to accommodate the new shaft nut. Most marine stores and marinas around here stock the nuts and anodes.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”