• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ranger 27 inspiration for Albin 27?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Blackmar1
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lake Lanier

Ranger 27 inspiration for Albin 27?

Post by Blackmar1 »

Has anyone modified their Albin 27 with ideas from the Ranger Tug’s. The main cabin in the Ranger appears to be very well appointed and designed I do not own either of these boats just dreaming at this point. The Albin represents a terrific value.

All the best,
Burton
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Ranger 27 inspiration for Albin 27?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm not sure how an Albin 27FC could be modified to resemble a Ranger 27, they're so different. Not least that Ranger Tugs have an open aft cockpit and a large enclosed salon. Not to mention the price tag differential. Here are some photos from a Seattle CL ad for a 2015 Ranger Tug 27, asking a cool $150K.
Ranger27-1.jpg
Ranger27-2.jpg
Ranger27-3.jpg
Ranger27-4.jpg
Ranger27-5.jpg
The Ranger and Nordic Tug layouts more closely resemble the C-Dory 25: sitting headroom V berth forward, salon with galley, dinette, driver seat, enclosed head, and open aft cockpit. Personally I prefer the Albin 25 layout to the A27. Yes it's smaller, but I like the built in chart table at the helm and the forward cabin layout where settees can convert to a wide V berth & not have the low overhead above the bed like the Rangers. But still, if money were no object a Ranger or Nordic would be nice. I've considered Taiwan built 34 or 36 foot trawlers if I lived near a Pacific NW port like Puget Sound, Anacortes, Bellingham, or Blaine. Especially if I could find one with a walkaround queen bed in the aft owner's cabin, a flybridge, forward V berth guest cabin with head, & shower in the aft cabin head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

You might search this forum for a boat called the “Mary Jo” which was customized with an extended cabin. No small amount of work. The smallest tug-boat styles seem to mostly have outboard motors and planing hulls. With the inboard in a A27, there is a constraint on what you can do in the middle of the boat.

I like those pocket-tug-boat layouts, but they were a bit outside my price point. The c-dory looks nice, but haven’t seen too many.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: Ranger 27 inspiration for Albin 27

Post by Ambler27FC »

One last thought. If you’re aim is a low-cost pocket-trawler, the market seems small. A person willing to do significant modifications might de-mast an older but nice sailboat (relatively cheap) and build a cabin over the cockpit with a similar result. Sailboat hulls seem more efficient, but there is a penalty on draft.

I think best to keep things simple. A complex boat has hidden maintenance costs.
Blackmar1
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Lake Lanier

Post by Blackmar1 »

Thanks for the information and guidance
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actually, if you're planning on sticking with Lake Lanier & not trailering to distant cruising grounds like I do, why not go with a sailboat? I am assuming your Lake Lanier is the one in Georgia. In which case this 1980 Ericson 31 Independence located in nearby Buford might be worth a look. Lake Lanier looks like a very pretty lake with lots of secluded coves to anchor in. I know if it were me I'd love to get back into sailing on a boat like this. With the clipper style bow the amount of cabin & cockpit space would be similar to a 27 foot Albin. For $30K this looks pretty sweet. In fact there are a lot of good options for sailboats in your area.
ericson31_4.jpg
ericson31_1.jpg
ericson31_2.jpg
ericson31_3.jpg
ericson31_5.jpg

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/bod/ ... 50489.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

We were the proud owner of Mary Jo mentioned above and have compared her to Ranger Tugs. There’s the obvious difference in speed in price, of course, but one thing people often don’t realize until the two were near each other was the difference in the living space created by the wider beam on the A27s. We always felt we had so much more room on our Mary Jo than those on similar length Rangers.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”