• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thumper 1975 25’ aft cabin mini pocket trawler

Albin's "power cruisers"
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Thumper 1975 25’ aft cabin mini pocket trawler

Post by Thumper74 »

Well, here goes…. Figured I’d start this thread, I did a new member post, but thought I’d switch to here so I can keep updating.

She is a 1975 25A. Hull 2026. Name thumper. Currently has a Saab 10hp gsp motor. Don’t know why. Don’t know when it was switched. With the hull speed calculation 8-10 knots is all she will do. I am interested in the original Volvo motor as a replacement. But as for now I’ll thump the Saab till it quits. I am a truck driver. So this thread will be updated when I return home and begin work. As always I am open to any and all suggestions. Good compliments and bad. All ideas and thoughts.

I will also be asking a lot of questions. In the mean time “”thump thump””
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Thumper 1975 25’ aft cabin mini pocket trawler

Post by WillieC »

Thump away. Apparently the hull is all set up to run the Sabb, meaning controls, shaft, prop, cutlass, engine mounts, engine cover, with an alternator to handle the battery system. Whoever did all that had pretty strong sentiments. The original for that year was likely the VP MD17C. Dance with the one that brung ya, goes the saying. In your OP, you mention that this boat, so equipped, ventured pretty far and wide. And made it back home. Can't ask for much more than that. Odd that the head went missing. Check the anchor locker.

Carry on!
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Time for some pictures. That way we can all start to figure thumper out. I’m more interested in the history of these boats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

The radio license is how I tracked down one owner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Any way to use these numbers to track down a owner??
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

A few more
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Ok this is bugging me. How do I rotate the picture to show it the right way??
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When you click on the picture it will open right way up. I see lots of soap and water in your future.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

dkirsop wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:56 pm When you click on the picture it will open right way up. I see lots of soap and water in your future.

Think you spelled gallons of paint, fiberglass repairs, hoses, wires, cushions and upholstery, wrong….. lol
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The picture from the bow looking aft really threw me. The strap made the boat look like the front had been sawn off and lowered with a full vent installed just in front of the plexiglass. Maybe combustion air for the Sabb.

Great pics. Like I said earlier, don’t fret the orientation. Someday we’ll figure it out.

The old guy built what he wanted and got every nickel out of his investment. Bahamas every year? That Sabb just might work out after all. You may have to start your own forum. A25s with 10hp Sabbs. Probably less than, well two members.

That bottom looks very much like the WillieC used to. Oh the fun you are in for.

I need to go back and read about all the goodies you have so I can make sense out of your pictures. Autopilot, AC or cold plate refrigerator, modified galley.
We should start a gofunme and fly you out here for a BC Albineers rendezvous in Ladysmith. There is one that is nearly all original and plenty you can barely recognize once you step aboard. Your Sabb will take the cake, trust me. I used to think Kirsop’s 2 cylinder AD21 was “distinctive”. That one lunger is going to need a massive steam whistle to round out the ensemble. Very unique.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Hi salty dogs, mermaids, landlubbers and tag-a-longs…..

I scratched, sniffed, dug and uncovered, what appears to be, hopefully, some magic numbers…. Now if I can figure out how to decipher these lucky digits. Please remember, I am interested in ALL of thumpers history. Shall we begin???

AMNO20261274….

According to the bronze plate at the helm…. 2026 and the albin website, Thumper was the first one out the door in 1975.. sooo I thought maybe she started in ‘74, but finished in ‘75… so I call her a 1975. But the above numbers have 74 in them.

Also there is a mast with sails. Someone else mentioned that if two windshield wipers are present, thumper could be a DeLuxe version. In one of those sideways pictures, if you zoom in, Close your starboard eye, and squint with your port eye, you can see that in fact, there was a wiper on the port side. But has since been removed. Wires are still there above the helm.

So what say ye??
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

DeLuxe for sure. My 1973 is a pre deluxe sometimes called Mark 2. All the features of the deluxe but not specifically branded. Recurve in the hull, 36hp engine, gel coat finish in the forward cabin lid, but wait! There’s more!

Back to work. High tide 6:24pm. Relaunch!
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

WillieC wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:09 pm DeLuxe for sure. My 1973 is a pre deluxe sometimes called Mark 2. All the features of the deluxe but not specifically branded. Recurve in the hull, 36hp engine, gel coat finish in the forward cabin lid, but wait! There’s more!

Back to work. High tide 6:24pm. Relaunch!
I’m taking a liking to you.

And I like your boat.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

So I bit the bullet. Paid for a boat history report. The only history is after Tom passed away, it stayed in his family. Until 2020. His family kept it registered a few times in South Carolina. A lot in Florida and 2020 in North Carolina. Registration shows a 1974 model.

Too bad I can not find any prior info from before Tom in 1994 taking ownership. ( anyone just joining in, there are pictures in first post and on new member introduction forum, for that back story.)

So maybe the boat stayed in Florida and made the short hop to Bahamas every winter??

Ok…. Now the mystery of that Sabb 10hp “”G”” series motor. When was it replaced?? Why?? Why a 1 cylinder thump thump motor, that isn’t really capable of giving you whiplash?? Wishful thinking 5knots.. a good current and a little breeze will stop me in my tracks. So, where could I find that Volvo?? Or I read somewhere about a “”beta””. Maybe that will snap my head backwards at the full 8-9knotts?? Hmmm…well I have plenty of time to burn that bridge later on.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Ok.. I’m kinda making a check list of things to do. I was leaning to painting the hull first. But after checking with some paint manufacturers, they insist the boat be in the water within1-3 months after painted. Well…. Uh… yeah, about that……. Too soon for that.

Soooooo…..

Before I remove anything out of “”thumper”” I will eyeball every nook and crevice. Looking for water stains on fabrics, walls, etc. remove all floor openings, and examine for signs of standing water, water stains, etc….

Make notes. Seems that some deck hardware is leaking from improper fastener choice. ( hopefully they didn’t collapse the balsa core) and a few add ons are leaking from same installation procedures.

Then I will remove anything, everything, that is not secured from the boat..

Then it will be time to fix all water penetration’s and make sure “”thumper”” stays dry.

A class in fiberglass and epoxy repairs are in my future.

While on that note…. Should I be worried of soft decks?? Where the water seeped in around hardware and ruined the core?? How would I know??

After that class is over with, I will break out the trusty fluke meter and a good battery and begin the rats nest of the electrical system. Removing outdated and unusable items, rewiring pretty much everything, and adding to the grey hairs I already have.

During the electrical fiasco, I will also replace hoses, seacocks, vent pipes, examine fuel tank, fresh water tank, oh by the way it appears to have a water maker on board?? Remember I am no boat guy. This is my first. I, my dear readers and followers, am a Gilligan….

The engine ( which ever way I decide to float) will be last…

Then painting and fixing the hull….

Did I leave anything out??

Any other recommendations of need to do’s??

And those dreaded please don’t do that’s??

Follow along as I dive deep into the rabbit hole and resurface with a new and improved “”Thumper 3.0””
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”