• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thumper 1975 25’ aft cabin mini pocket trawler

Albin's "power cruisers"
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Re: Thumper 1975 25’ aft cabin mini pocket trawler

Post by Thumper74 »

Whew…. Well batteries are charging. Appear to be newish…. All navigation lights work. (Port starboard and the white light aft.) found ole glory…. Has a cassette radio. With Neil diamond tape still in it. Rudder turns freely and easily. Prop feathers easily. Hand operated bilge pump works flawlessly. Also have a electric pump. I thought the bilge was open from bow to stern. It catches water in compartments for now. Have to move the electric pump from one section to the next. Maybe some thing is clogged down in there. It appears the water comes in from the sides. A few water stains from leaking deck hardware. Anchor is included. No chain. Just rope. A pur water maker was installed. A small pur35. Wasn’t able to attempt a operation check on this item. But it’s on the list. Has icom vhf radio. Operating for now. A light works at the helm. But Not in v berth or aft cabin. ( could be bulbs.) has solar panels. Made by semens. I’m thinking 2, 75 watt panels. ( going by the size of them. ) no I didn’t break out the fluke meter today. But will tomorrow after batteries spend the night on charge.

But tonight’s inquiring minds wanna episode is……..what could this be???? It’s in the v berth. Beside the bookshelf. Starboard side. Has wires. Wires go back into the head and appears to go into the behive in bulkhead. But where the terminate is not actually known. Will investigate further tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good question. Just wires, no water lines? No switches or labels? Not a water heater? Hard to tell from the photo how big around it is. Very mysterious.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:29 pm Good question. Just wires, no water lines? No switches or labels? Not a water heater? Hard to tell from the photo how big around it is. Very mysterious.
Ahhh, it has something to do with the compass and auto pilot. Just went looking again. It was kinda bugging me.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Precisely my thoughts. Compass and autopilot but you gave it away. Ha!
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Was kinda wondering…. Can anyone tell me where the purple wire goes??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Is that tank for the air horns?

Love the extension cord. You are going to stay busy for a while. Wow.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

WillieC wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm Love the extension cord. You are going to stay busy for a while. Wow.
I love the hornet nests and the white wire nicely butt-connected to a red wire. Haven't spotted the extension cord. :shock:
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Follow the orange cable to its end on the right. Home Depot special.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

WillieC wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:43 pm Follow the orange cable to its end on the right. Home Depot special.
It went exactly no where. There are so many ghost wires. And with the majority of things still working I’m not sure what was hooked up
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

WillieC wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm Is that tank for the air horns?
Yes sir. Afi air horn. But…. I don’t think it’s suppose to look like this.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I believe you said the former owner was pilot? Looks like he used to "fly by wire". Good luck. You will not be bored this winter.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

dkirsop wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:47 pm I believe you said the former owner was pilot? Looks like he used to "fly by wire". Good luck. You will not be bored this winter.

Especially when I have zero boat fixing upper experience.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Welcome Thumper!
I too bought an A25 in rough shape but it came with a fairly new VP engine, 410 hours on it at the time, now it’s over 1000 hrs in four years! I do have a build thread on here under the heading “Rough Around the edges Albin 25” viewtopic.php?t=11164

For me the engine was the most important part, we cruise for two months in the summer and head north a few hundred miles away so dependability was number one but if you are staying close to home that Saab should do the trick, my boat came with an outboard bracket mounted to the stern and that is something you could also do and get a 9.9 of some type for those days old Thumper won’t start!
I also this year paddled our Albin around using a stand up paddle board paddle and barring any currents I could paddle around easily! Just saying.

That round thing that no one has guessed at would be a Flux Detector Valve for the auto pilot, at least that is what I call it, it is a type of compass that detects magnetic north, it needs to be in an area with limited electrics and metal close by but I may be wrong.

Not to start an anchor debate but if you plan on anchoring out often pony up the bucks for a GOOD new style anchor! A Rocna or Manson are game changing anchors that set easily and hold strong, these new anchors along with Navionics have changed boating for me and made the biggest difference to enjoying my boating experience.
We anchor out almost exclusively and have never dragged anchor, we move around a lot so I am often setting anchor two to three times a day and I am always amazed at the performance!

Good luck with your boat and enjoy!
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Whew. Not sure this was used much. The rode is 120ft. First number is a 20’ mark. But ten ft away from the thimble looking thingy. And 10ft of chain before the anchor. I’m trying to express my highly one sided opinion to the first mate that we need a new one…. Guess by the rust stains that are circled in red was where the 10’ of chain usually preferred to ride. Then rode was cleated off and down in the locker. ( although, no signs of a rode securement in the anchor locker. Thought it was suppose to attach to the boat???) what was the green circle?? A possible small windlass???

Well anyways hope fully the boss says we can go shopping.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes, the rode should be attached to the boat at the bitter end, with a knife close at hand for that dreadful emergency. (Not that I have one...)

The green circled thingy appears to be one piece of a three part bronze deely-bob that secured the original anchor as it was originally stowed on the original deck. (Why I failed English composition.) No fancy anchor roller hangy doo-hickey for these old boats. Another set of holes to patch.

Yes! Spend money! New anchor, chain, swivels, windlass with wireless remote, another battery. There is no limit! Glad to hear the boss is coming around!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”