• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1992 Albin 24 getaway

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sawdust
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: shelton, Hammersley inlet

1992 Albin 24 getaway

Post by Sawdust »

Hi all, I just joined your site so I can pick your brains about a 1992 Albin Getaway. the boat is for sale in Anacortes, Wa.
these seem like fun boats, a bit pricey but from all the comments I have read you guys really love them.
My main question is about the Mercury Diesel in the boat. Are these reliable motors? This has 1500 hours in it. Can you get parts for these? I think its a 180 hp.
the other question is , having a rudder and no outdrive are these boats easy to launch? Is there anything I need to be concerned about. The fellow is asking 31,500 with the price negotiable. Seem kind of high but it does have a trailer. Thanks in advance.
Mark. aka Sawdust
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Re: 1992 Albin 24 getaway

Post by irishwake »

I owned an Albin 24 Getaway and the boat was hoot. It had a Yanmar diesel so I can’t tell you much about your engine. It handles great especially with the bow thruster, good on fuel and easy for one person to handle. I had mine for about 4 years and the only problem I had was the hydraulic steering pump at the rudder. I kept mine in the water so can’t help with the launching question. The boat is small and a bit tight. But it did lead me to purchase a 28 Albin. As for price I sold mine for what I paid for it. Good luck.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

How cool is that!! Nice looking and the right beam. Like a poor people Cutwater or Ranger tug! The big question.. does it have a shower!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Try to figure what the engine was based on. Im sure merc would never do their own core engine. There are people making manifolds and elbows from scratch so that can be solved if need be
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Apples and oranges. It will be interesting to compare this to Mike Almvig's A25. Keep us posted.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The six pot Mercury engine was always planned as competition over the Volvo AD41P. Sadly it wasn’t any competition at all. It’s basically a bloody great anode of an engine. Normally coupled to a Bravo 2 or 3 out drive and that’s about it. Parts are easy to obtain here in the UK as so many were sold but it’s not a great engine at all.

Seems to me all the BMW based blocks are bad. Yanmar 6BY for example was 260bhp in the car and the same as a marine engine. Based on the BMW 3 litre diesel, in a car it’s great and will go on for many miles. As a marine engine, good for 1000 hours before it starts to suffer with massive blow by.

Bid the seller hard with a view to replacing the engine at some point or if funds allow, put an extra £20k towards a 28 with a 6lp in it. I even found a flush deck today with 2100 hours on for $58k so there are deals to be had.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

No nothing about them but here's one I spotted at a marina I visited a decade ago. I'd be very careful as to what you are willing to spend based on this boat being an odd one and Tree's comments as to the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”