• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What is this boat?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

What is this boat?

Post by Dieselram94 »

Saw this boat today in Rockland Maine harbor.
Is this boat a Albin of sone sort?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: What is this boat?

Post by WillieC »

Is that the famous Albin 30? It’s here somewhere on AOG.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13424
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Could be! Looks similar to but not quite the same as a Bonum 25 which was a later brand with A25 hull & redesigned cabin trunk & wheel house that looked similar to that boat but without the wide squared off transom. We had spotted this on a trailer at West Sound Marina on Orcas Island in the San Juans on our first cruise up their in 2014.
DSCN1515.JPG
DSCN1516.JPG
DSCN1517.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Sent the question to the Albin25 ägare FB group.. should know soon
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Nimbus 26. Thats was what fancy people bought in the albin days…

https://www.yachtingmedia.com/boats-data/nimbus-26
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Wow!!!!! Thank you!!! I had been trying to figure it out with no luck. Looks like it only came with 12hp though? Wonder how it cruised with that?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

:P ?? 12hp. No they came with a 4 cyl penta MD21 ~70 hp among the worst Volvo ever done.. many are repowering. Nimbus was a bit like an Albin 25 for rich people.. look what they are eating on them..

https://www.blocket.se/annons/ostergotl ... /101581460
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

By the way, just saw Pelle Petterson designed it. He designed our other swedish gem.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

In 1973-74 I owned a used 1966 Volvo 2 door 122S like this one expect white color. Fun car to drive with floor mounted stick shift but not exactly a gem. Actually the example I had was one of the worst "garage queen" lemons & least reliable cars I've ever owned. Swore from then on to this day I'd never own another Volvo. I guess today the 122S is considered a classic. Unfortunately a lot of the components like SU side draft carbs were British made. I did admire the 1970 1800E sport coupe but could never afford one. In fact could never afford a 2 seater sports car of any kind because insurance rates for sports cars for an under 25 year old driver were astronomical and I was chronically dirt poor in those days. The highest hourly wage I ever owned while living in NY state & prior to moving west to AZ in 1977 was $4.10 per hour.
Volvo122s.jpg
This was the 122S twin SU side draft carbed engine from hell. On the good side in was pre-pollution controls & easy access to work on. Which one had to do a lot. At the time I owned mine I lived in an apartment in Schenectady NY where one had to park on the street when winters were all snow & ice. So any repairs needed, which was quite often, had to be done by a paid auto repair shop. Of course I only paid $375 for the car. Oh those were the days!
1966 volvo122s engine.jpg

I guess the next accessory I need to get for La Dolce Vita is a candelabra!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

??? Cant imagine any simpler carbs than the SU. Unless they are worn and leak the only issue is people not making sure there is damper oil in them. There was actually a back seat in the 1800. We mounted a seat belt in ours and did many long trips in it with our younger son in the back. The 1800 is also the world record holder in most miles by one owner..Irv Gordon got over 3 million. Car outlasted him. Irv sadly passed away in 2018. I had the pleasure to met him a year earlier.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The issue with the SU carbs was mainly keeping them synched. Of course any car of that vintage had none of the safety features or emission controls like catalytic converters we take for granted today. To be fair the previous owner had been abusive to the 122S. But what can one expect for$375. That wouldn't even buy a set of tires today. Don't recall how many miles were on it, but the NY winters were so hard on cars most didn't go much beyond 100K miles. One problem on this particular car was involved the fuel tank filler. On the 122S the filler cap is at the rear under the trunk lid with a pipe connection to the tank which was directly under the trunk. That pipe had cracked & filled the passenger compartment with gas fumes. Another problem involved front end suspension where a front wheel literally fell off. Off course being a 7 to 8 year old car in NY state where roads get salted in winter it had rust issues, which was common with any car. But it was an elegant body style. "Arizona" cars brought back from the West were prized for not been rusted out.
V122Srear.jpg
Another candidate for "worst car" prize for me was a VW bug, also 1966 model year, that I bought out here in 1978. At least by then I was in a position to work on it. It had been modified/chopped with a fiberglass "Baja Bug" kit. Looked like this except yellow with skinny stock front tires & big oversize rear tires. That one had a lot of issues including the need to replace the engine with a rebuilt one. Also no functioning heat or air conditioning. One problem with the baja kit was that it left the back end & the engine open to the weather & when it rained would short out the spark plug wires, so I'd have to cover the engine with plastic sheet and spray the wires with WD40. Another problem was the brakes tended to either lock up on not work at all. Also electrical problems. Since the engine was open and of course a low powered 4 cylinder, if the starter wouldn't turn over I could wrap a piece of knotted rope around an unused pulley on the crank shaft and with a tug could pull start it like an old fashioned outboard or lawnmower. Up to that point I had never owned a car newer than 1968 model year nor paid more than $850 to buy. That's why these days I get all my service work done in a shop & don't even want to deal with changing oil (except of our Albin). Even now my "DA'ing" tow vehicle to used to haul my 51 year old boat on its 23 year old trailer hither and yon is 16 years old.
bajabug.jpg
OK, enough about cars. Back to boats.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”