• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Out of state Albin 25 purchase

Albin's "power cruisers"
Woody5
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: S florida

Out of state Albin 25 purchase

Post by Woody5 »

I’m a Florida resident looking to get an Albin 25 type boat for Crusing the Champlain Great Lakes during summers.
Found an later model Albin 25 in Connecticut with out an engine. Owner says he is an installer with a Beta marine who will install a new 38hp Beta Diesel in the boat ready to sail away for 15K. No trailer included.
Is that deal unrealistic.
How can I protect that deal if I decide to go for it?
What documents would be required?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Out of state Albin 25 purchase

Post by tego »

If the sellers name is Joe D. I'd jump at it. You're getting the boat for free. That's the cost of a new 38 Beta and it's probably the best engine available for a boat that size. Actually, it's overkill for an Albin 25, but you'll love it. Ben '87 27FC
11kolive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vashon Island, WA

Post by 11kolive »

I agree with Theo, Joe is a standup guy and you will have a fantastic engine!
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

As someone on this site somewhere said, an Albin 25 without a good engine is worth a few hundred bucks. (That might be an understatement, but the thought is correct.) They are old boats, but built very well and if they have a low time good engine or new engine, that is their value. After that, you can fix away the small stuff at your own rate.

We've a low time Yanmar 3JH3E, 40 HP on our A25 Deluxe. With the boat loaded for a trip, that is not too much power when you are in current. For the most part, it pushes us at a cozy six or seven knots hardly working. Of course, you only need something like 12 HP to push the boat at hull speed in still water, but the Deluxe hull kinda' planes a bit and it needs that extra HP to do it. Getting the install of the engine is great. But one thing for sure: getting the motor mounts and driveshaft with coupling in alignment, prop sized and pitched right is a big deal. If that is included and done by an expert, it will save you a lot of grief trying to do it on your own. We had to change props, have it pitched, etc.... expensive! (In case you don't know, the engine should come to its top rated RPM at WOT, wide open throttle. If not, you are either wasting fuel or overburdening your engine.)

The stock wet exhaust with the rubber "football" is a disaster waiting to happen---one of our members here nearly sank his boat when his split. If this price also includes a new exhaust, such as a Vetus or similar muffler and the recommended waterlock, I would suggest it really smart to buy the boat!

That said, we've had poor dealer help with the Yanmar when trying to buy parts. Mack Boring, the importer is good, but what a bunch of lousy dealers I have encountered trying to get even basic parts like the diesel shut-off solenoid, motor mounts, filters, fan belt, etc.. If you are not installing $40K at their dealership, you are likely to not even get a phone call back. If I was to ever re-power, and if all goes well, I won't... but it would be with the Beta. I hear they have good customer service and they also have in common the parts for their tractor engines at a less expensive price. I think the 38 the perfect size for the A25. (We also have a Yanmar in our John Deere tractor... so it is a real bend for me to recommend a Kubota engine!)

As far as trailers, you'll have a bit of a time getting one if you need one, but it is a lot easier than finding one for a 27. Or, you can always have one built. In the meantime, there are lots of boat haulers out there and boat stands.
Woody5
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: S florida

Post by Woody5 »

Spoke with Beta headquarters they say the 3 cylinder 30 hp diesel is a better match. What about the muffler?
Replace rubber football with fiberglass muffler?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Absolutely ditch the muffler.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I see on TF that the boat has been sold. Are you the lucky guy?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hey, guess what? If indeed it is Joe DeMers, formerly of Sound Marine Diesel I may have a picture of that boat, which may be one of these two I saw parked at what used to be Joe's shop on Main St in Plainview, CT back in 2015. We stopped by there on our way to Weekapaug, RI. DIdn't get to meet Joe because he was out of the shop that day. We looked at the two A25's that were parked there on blocks & stands from the outside but did see the interiors. The cockpits & wheelhouses were exposed to weather, so the woodwork may need a restoration project.

So the one you're interested in may be one of these two. I don't know what happened to these after 2015, and maybe there's a third boat that you're talking about. Looking at the shop's location on Google maps street view those boats are no longer there in the yard & the business is now dba "Affordable Marine Boating Center", phone 860 747-2628. Address is 86 E Main St, Plainville, CT 06062.
DSCN2505.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Joe had two Albin 25s in his yard years ago when I stopped by. There was an older full displacement hull belonging to a customer and his personal A25 deLuxe. His boat had the original Volvo engine pulled out. He told me the previous owner was a man named John Wood, also of CT.

I recall it had lifelines, two hull-side rectangular ports on the bow and, oddly, a head mounted in the aft cabin.

Joe did say he could install a Beta at a good price. He had also previously done repowers on customers Albin’s with Betas.

That was the second A25 I saw in CT that year. The first was a work-in-progress, no motor installed but did come with a VW diesel on a stand. The seller said he had an Albin 25 before and had sold it. He missed it so much that he went out and bought this one but the project was a bit too much for him to finish.

The man’s name? John Wood.

Epilogue: John eventually sold his 2nd boat to a doctor with deep pockets. It underwent a full bare hull restoration in the upper $20k price range. Sadly, last I heard is that it was being sold as-is (unfinished).
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

DA’s picture just came through (slow Internet today). Joe’s boat is the one on the left. Lifelines and rectangular ports just aft of the registration numbers.

Me? I bought my boat from a classic car and boat dealer in SC, with a Vetus diesel on a pallet and on an aluminum tandem axle trailer. Had a transporter truck it to NY. I bought it sight unseen - just photos and a phone conversation. I new it needed work and the seller was more than fair. I would say “as described” is accurate. I’m happy.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Its questionable to buy a hull and repower it unless its in very good condition. Joes boat has been on land for a long time and to pay someone to put in an engine will run you well over $10k then you have to restore the interior after it sitting in the weather for a long time.

I just texted James Kennney and his boat is still available. His is in Groton, CT and have a Westerbeke engine in his. He had that listed for $7500 with a trailer. Trailer needs a refurb and the interior is a bit rough but with a newer engine and a usable trailer it's a great deal for that price.
Last edited by tribologist on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Did you see this? Probably will end up cheaper than restoring the one here in CT viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14017&p=94353#p94353
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

tribologist wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:20 pm Did you see this? Probably will end up cheaper than restoring the one here in CT viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14017&p=94353#p94353

The engine installed was probably about $12-15k, a new canvas run a few k, a sidepower thruster is easily $3k. radar..... We bought ours for $13,000 and we are approaching the sale price for that with, electronics, AC, bow thruster, canvas, cushions, auto pilot, GPS compass, rewiring,...
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”