• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission rebuild/repair

Albin's "power cruisers"
garybodie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Transmission rebuild/repair

Post by garybodie »

I have a A27 sport model with the Westerbeke 100, and need transmission repair or rebuilld. Transmision works in forward, but no reverse. I've checked fluids and connections. I'm not planning to do any of the work myself, but I want to be somewhat knowledgeable in discussions with the shop. How hard is it to remove the transmission? Would the engine need to be removed as well? I'm leaning towards having the marina remove the transmission, and then carrying it to transmision shop for repair. Any recommendations in the southern Chesapeake Bay area? What am I missing? Guesstimates on costs or labor hours?
Thanks in advance

--Gary
spover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Shore of Massachusetts

Re: Transmission rebuild/repair

Post by spover »

We had same boat with the W100. I had the transmission rebuilt and it was not too difficult to remove. The nice part of that setup is that the engine sits on 4 mounts so there are no mounts on the trans, meaning that you do not need to remove the engine or support it. The shaft needs to pushed aft as far as it will go (to the rudder) to make clearance. Remove the shift cable and unbolt the trans and lift it out.. I believe that one bolt required me to grind down a wrench due to limited clearance. You may need to also remove the exhaust hose between the elbow and muffler. I think I did it myself (not a pro) in a couple hours. I'd also take a look at the clutch/damper to as this is a good time to replace.

I don't remember the cost as it was few years ago. Good luck!
2006 35 Command Bridge (Current)
1985 27 Sport Cruiser (Sold)
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Transmission rebuild/repair

Post by DCatSea »

I have a 27FC with the MIghty Lehman and a Hurth transmission. Four years ago I had exactly the opposite problem, could go backwards but not forwards. After removal of the tranny by the marina mechanics I took it to Maryland Transmissions in Churchton MD (near Herrington North), who stripped the tranny and rebuilt it and put in a new damper plate (updated from the original 1984 model). Marina mechanics then reinstalled, and I haven't had a problem since then.
If i can find the invoice I will post it but I seem to remember the whole thing cost about $600.00 start to finish. This was at the beginning of the season, and they had the tranny for about 7 days
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”