• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 Update post - Victoria BC

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria

Albin 25 Update post - Victoria BC

Post by Sookelarry »

Hello Everyone.
Thought I would provide update to work on my Albin 25. So I got to work on main cabin. I removed alot of the cabinets to refinish at home. The removal of the old vinyl was pretty easy as the foam behind disintegrated long ago.... unfortunately the worst part is removing the old glue. I tried chemicals, rotary instruments but good old hand scraper was only effective way for me. I would say hours and hours of work. I just didn't want the old glue showing through when I put new vinyl on, all the bumps etc. So I purchased some marine grade vinyl with foam backing from Fabricland and made templates from old stuff. The glueing was pretty interesting as I used contact cement...I would recommend two people for handling the large pieces and getting into location as the glue sticks right away. I did some scraping and painting and reinstalled the pieces I varnished at home. I used a high gloss in helm area but decided to use satin finish in forward cabin as I think shows the wood nicer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Albin 25 Update post - Victoria BC

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very nice! We paid a premium price for our boat which the immediate previous owners had done a similar interior 'restoration' in the early 2000's as you're doing now. It's a lot of work, but satisfying when complete. Ours is now what an antique collector car would be called an 'older restoration' with at least 15 years worth of post restoration wear & tear. Folks sometimes underestimate the effort & materials cost required for a project like that, but end result is worth it & hopefully you'll have years of enjoyment cruising one of the best cruising grounds in North America. We hope to return to Salish Sea for the fifth time since 2014 next summer & maybe have a chance to meet up & see your handiwork first hand.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

It's great to see these old boats being lovingly restored. They are perfect for cruising the Salish Sea. Look forward to meeting you at a BC Albineers rendezvous in the near future. Do you have a name for your boat yet?
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A blank palette for an artist such as yourself. I can see that you enjoy it. Nice work.
Sookelarry
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Victoria

Post by Sookelarry »

Hello. Name of boat is Time Out. I did not change the name when I purchased. I think she attended some RVs in the past and the Albiners site has older post for when she was for sale few years ago. I purchased boat from Cowichan Bay Wooden boat society. A previous owner donated her to society. She is 1978 and hull number 2793. Yes hope to get to the RVs in summer 2023 and see all the great boats.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Yes hope to get to the RVs in summer 2023 and see all the great boats.
We too for sure! The BC Albineers are such a great group! Dare say largest gathering of A25 & A27 boats in North America.
IMG_0593.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Are all three bottles of wine right in front of Mr. K. or is it my imagination?
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

Beautiful work! Love seeing restorations

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”