• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Galley Sink and refrigerator options

Albin's "power cruisers"
pnloud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport, Mi

A27 Galley Sink and refrigerator options

Post by pnloud »

Looking for ideas for sink replacement and options for installing a frig in the galley. Has anyone remodelled the deep ice box compartment to house a refrigerator ? Thanks
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: A27 Galley Sink and frig options

Post by DCatSea »

Very interested in this topic. Also, how about a 12v icemaker?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

The two most common placements for a fridge on an A27 seem to be forward of the kitchen counter or next to the table (sacrificing the aft table seats). I added a shelf to the ice chest and use it to store a coffee maker, toaster, etc. I have a mini fridge that runs on 12vdc or shore power, but that may be overkill. If you can find a high efficiency cooler that runs on 12vdc and 110vac shore power it might be a perfect low-cost and small footprint option. A freezer section is key so that you can make ice.

Upgrading the sink faucet was a winning move for me. Many options for this.
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

Caprice came to me (It followed me home. Can I keep it?) with a 12 volt compressor unit on the port side opposite the engine. Home made enclosure. In the cockpit, that is. It intrudes very little on passage past the first mate's seat and draws much less current that I was anticipating. Less that an incandescent cabin light although those are long gone. We have no need for ice although it came with an internal divider thus creating a freezer compartment taking up the top 40% of the volume.

Between the low drain of this fridge and changing over to a Chinese forced air diesel heater, my electrical budget is now reasonable. A second 100 watt solar panel may be in our future as a small desalinator is likely in the boat's future.

As to the galley sink, we still have what I assume to be the original sink and fresh water foot pump at the forward end of the galley counter.

Except for a small gas can on the swim step for the dingy motor, we are now down to only stove alcohol and diesel thus reducing the chances of disaster.

Mike
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

I just noticed that you have a 27. Sorry. Inattention. Caprice is a 25.

Mike
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

I have an Albin 30. I'm looking at some of the 12v cooler shaped compressor refrigerators to replace the 20 year old Norcold refrigerator I have. BourgeRV is the main brand I'm looking at now. Economical, though limited space. The idea would be to have a small fridge for food (meats, milk, etc) and a cooler for keeping beverages cool. I'll be following this thread for others inputs.

Ed
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

We converted the ice box to a 12v/120v fridge using a kit from Isotherm. GE 150 I believe. So far we are very pleased with the unit and have it operating on the lowest setting. The box is maintained at 39 degrees. The air cooled compressor is in the port side cockpit storage area. Insulated cooling lines run down into engine room and through the bulkhead into the ice box where the evaporator is located.

We are generally either tied up and plugged in or under way with the engine running (100amp alternator) so I have no say as to how quickly it would draw down the batteries. Some consideration had to be made in terms of insulation; the original ice box was actually insulated but poorly. I bored several holes around the perimeter and injected expandable foam then glassed the plugs back in. I modified the top load lid to also be insulated and added a gasket for a better seal. I did all that with the counter top removed (it was also replaced at the same time).

I put a lot of thought into other stand alone units, drawer types and others but settled on keeping the ice box because space and options are limited and I could not figure out what to do with the ice box if we went with unit in a different location. My advice would be to consider how you use the boat and whether or not you want or need your refrigeration at all times.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Haven’t been here in a long while since I sold my fc nut thought this might be helpful
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6804&start=45

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”