• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good ways to list an A-25 for sale?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: Good ways to list an A-25 for sale?

Post by Dieselram94 »

NickScheuer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:11 am What is "fluid film"?
Fluid film is a rust preventative product. I apply it to all my vehicles (ones that see winter driving) every year. It does wonders to stop rust. As time goes on it builds thickness with each application. Just derust and clean as best you can, and liberally spray fluid film under your truck every year if your in rust prone area of the country and you can stop and prevent rust.

https://www.fluid-film.com/
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:34 pm Update on boat selling tips: I get the online version of BoatUS Magazine, and this article just came out on seller AND buyer beware of scammers. Interesting read. We are likely within a few years, maybe as soon as two or three years, of aging out, selling our boat and moving on from boat ownership. This makes me lean more toward listing with a legit consignment brokerage, because even a relatively "cheap" boat like an A25 is a significant amount of money to risk losing to a scammer. Also for someone like me in Arizona, local demand for a niche market type of antique boat like an Albin 25 is virtually non-existent. When time to sell comes I'm tempted to make it a last one way trip to Pacific NW, do a "farewell" cruise, and leave the boat up there with a reputable broker and let them handle the sale and consider the cost of commission a worthwhile piece of mind insurance policy.

Nick, the sudden loss of your spouse, may she rest in piece, is a wake up call to what can happen to any of us as we get older. Last month we had a close call with my Admiral. She almost succumbed to a sudden onset case life of threatening pneumonia and pleural effusion, spent a week in hospital including a couple days in ICU on death's door and ten days in a rehab hospital. She's less than two years away from turning 80 years old. The first night at home when she started feeling bad she got up in the night to use the bathroom and got disoriented on coming back to bed, fell, and fractured her right wrist. That resulted in plate an screws surgery, and she's still recovering from that. The next morning after a trip to an ER to set & splint the wrist she woke up even more disoriented and delirious. Thankfully she has recovered from the pneumonia, but only because I freaked out and called 911 and got the EMT's to transport her to the hospital by ambulance ASAP. If I had waited any longer we might have lost her.

boatscamalert.jpg

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... n=magazine

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... msDSCN4291 (1280x960).jpg
Dang, glad she is on the mend!!!
I fell on the ice at work on 1-31-23 and absolutely destroyed my left wrist. I too had surgery with a plate, screws, and lots of pins. Still have sone bone fragments floating around that they tell me will possibly migrate back to where they should be…that was extreme pain. Broke about every bone I could in that fall. Currently still out of work and going to therapy two times a week. Hoping to regain most of strength and motion back. But as time goes on I have discovered new problems with my hand. At least it didn’t happen during boating season…
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Dieselram94,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like a workman's comp case so hopefully you can collect on that. In my Admiral's case it was a transverse fracture of distal radius with significant joint displacement and a smaller fracture of the ulna styloid. The latter will heal on its own. The plate attached to the radius is T shaped and held in place with 6 screws. When you say you "broke about every bone you could" in the fall does that include the various carpal bones of the hand? Injury from falls is one of the greatest risks we face as we get older. On top of that bones get more brittle and take longer to heal than when we were young whipper snappers. Your injury occurred eleven days after my Admiral's, so you're on the same healing track. We are hoping to be able to do a "DA" trip to the San Juans & Gulf Islands later this summer some time between June and August. The doc says she'll be able to by then. For now it's PT three times a week. But far as I'm concerned she needs to be at least 90% back to normal to handle climbing up, down, and around the boat & dinghy as well as helping with docking, launching, and retrieving on & off the trailer. The one thing about A25's that can be difficult is climbing down into the cockpit from the deck, which the way our boat is set up has to be over the aft cabin top unless the canvas is folded up.
20190615_142351.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
zugbug99
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by zugbug99 »

Nick, I’m sorry to hear of your loss. I worked in the medical field for almost 40 years prior to retirement.
Please make sure you engage with your family, friends, and community (church, clubs, organizations, etc).
The loss of a spouse is something you will never get over. Your at high risk for your health to go bad in the coming years due to sadness, depression, and the difficulty in continuing with your life without your spouse. On top of that, having to sell your boat, change your life, hobbies, and activities cause further stress.
So please don’t feel that you need to live in a cave, and not let yourself have joy and happiness in your life.
Consider keeping your boat for the next year, getting a new first mate (family, friend, or teach a new boater).
But force yourself to get out of the house, do things you enjoy, and enjoy life.
I am sure your wife would want you to still have happiness in your life.
Grief, and sadness is a part of life. It does not have to be the rest of your life.
I’m new on the board, but many here would likely give the same advice. Grieve your loss, but have joy also.
Your in my thoughts. Mike
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:37 pm Dieselram94,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like a workman's comp case so hopefully you can collect on that. In my Admiral's case it was a transverse fracture of distal radius with significant joint displacement and a smaller fracture of the ulna styloid. The latter will heal on its own. The plate attached to the radius is T shaped and held in place with 6 screws. When you say you "broke about every bone you could" in the fall does that include the various carpal bones of the hand? Injury from falls is one of the greatest risks we face as we get older. On top of that bones get more brittle and take longer to heal than when we were young whipper snappers. Your injury occurred eleven days after my Admiral's, so you're on the same healing track. We are hoping to be able to do a "DA" trip to the San Juans & Gulf Islands later this summer some time between June and August. The doc says she'll be able to by then. For now it's PT three times a week. But far as I'm concerned she needs to be at least 90% back to normal to handle climbing up, down, and around the boat & dinghy as well as helping with docking, launching, and retrieving on & off the trailer. The one thing about A25's that can be difficult is climbing down into the cockpit from the deck, which the way our boat is set up has to be over the aft cabin top unless the canvas is folded up.

20190615_142351.jpg
Sorry for the delayed response. Without looking up the medical chart for the exact terms, I broke both the ulna and radius in many places along with other bones in the hand. In the process I compressed/crushed the joint of the wrist severely. I’m recovering well as can be, they told me to expect arthritis later on in life and also said it would be likely I need another surgery once the arthritis becomes bad enough to either clean out the joint or to plate/pin (immobilize) the wrist joint. The doctor said that if it can’t move the arthritis won’t hurt…I really don’t like the sound of any of that. I’m dreading the future as far as that goes. Especially when considering the amount of arthritis I already have in my shoulders and one knee. I seem to be predisposed to arthritis.

I think I would agree with you on her being 90% recovered for getting in and out of the boat, certainly don’t need to aggravate the injury or even worse have another fall. I hope she recovers fast! Boating season is coming.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”