• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

20hp too small for 25 Albin Deluxe?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Fredstraw1
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Campbell River

20hp too small for 25 Albin Deluxe?

Post by Fredstraw1 »

Am repowering my 25 Albin Deluxe. I have a line on a 27hp Isuzu that is in unknown running condition but reported as "good". I have also come across a 20 hp Yanmar that can be seen running and is reportedly rebuilt. Whats the consensus, would that be underpowered?
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Re: 20hp too small for 25 Albin Deluxe?

Post by LopezMike »

Is the Yanmar a two or three cylinder? The three is noticeably smoother. Same thing with the Isuzu.

I have a 3GMF30 Yanmar which is rated in the mid 20's. Maybe 27? But I cruise at 2000 rpm around five kt's and I doubt that I'm asking 20 hp from it.

For what it's worth, the previous owner kept a good fuel log on his last trip from southern B.C. to Alaska. Cruising at five kts., he averaged 1.09 liters per hour.

Mike
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I am pretty sure there is information on power required to go hull speed on this site and if I remember right it was something like 9hp? Hull speed is in the 5knot range, 5.6 hp maybe?
If you plan any travel in high tidal flow the extra power can help gain some extra speed. Sounds like 25 hp is a popular all around choice.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Depends on which hull type, full displacement ("Albin 25 badge, no flare on bottom near stern) or semi-displacement (post 1972 model year, Albin 25 deLuxe badge). Agree with LopezMike, I have same Yanmar 3 cyl 24 HP 3GM30F & love it. But La Dolce Vita is 1971 full displacement, 6.5 knots top end at 2,350 RPM. If you have later deLuxe variant you'll want a bigger engine, 3 or even 4 cyl, +/- 35 HP. I log all fuel & engine hours & over 9 years average 0.4 GPH, which is about 1.4 L/hr.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
SalishAire
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Olympia WA

Post by SalishAire »

Just food for thought: When we had our 60,0000# 46 ft Nordhavn with a displacement hull the emergency (AKA: "wing") engine was a Yanmar 3 GM 30 rated at 27 HP. With that engine we could do 4.5 - 5 kn (despite requiring the rudder be directed several degrees to stbd to make up for the port location of the propeller). When we purchased A25 Hyacinth we had no concerns about it being underpowered as it had the same Yanmar 3 GM 30.
Norman and Clarice Gregory
A 25 Hyacinth
Lacey WA
https://claricenorman.blogspot.com/
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

Great question. We have a forty hp Yanmar in our 25 Deluxe (semi-displacement). We hit 12 kts when the boat was nearly empty and the prop over pitched. Another consideration….

We have some pretty fast tidal currents here in Maine and I’m glad for the horses we’ve got. The previous owner had the prop seriously lugging the engine— injectors carboned up really bad, engine at WOT over a thousand RPMs under rated Yanmar WOT RPM. Did all the calculations for a new prop with the boat empty—- wrong! (WOT is now a hundred under specs, pretty close.) That’s all to say that it would be wise to get info from people with same hull as yours, same engine you plan, to get the right size prop— we’ve spent a pile of dough getting a new prop, then getting it repitched.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”