• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder maintenance

Albin's "power cruisers"
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

Rudder maintenance

Post by realslimshady »

Had a look at the top of the rudder post yesterday and there's a tiny weep of water evident. It occurred to me that in five and a half years of ownership I have never touched the steering system.
Is there any kind of maintenance to be carried out. There doesn't seem to be a grease nipple or any kind of 'service' access...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Rudder maintenance

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Same thing here, 9 years of ownership.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Nothing to grease. There is a seal on the stem just below the tiller arm and a great thread by D. Kirsop on how to renew it.

Some of these boats have "Kissed bottom" and have made repairs to the skeg and lower rudder support. The elbow fitting at the bottom is still available from Stefan and Albinmotors if I'm not mistaken.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Here is the link to my thread on this topic
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756
Hull No. 1013, 1971
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

Post by realslimshady »

cheers guys
akroger
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Juneau Alaska

Post by akroger »

dkirsop wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:44 pm Here is the link to my thread on this topic
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756
I really appreciated your post and pictures on how you replaced the upper seal and busing components on your Albin 25. It was extremely helpful. I have same boat (1977) and steering setup and am having the boat pulled out of water in a few days to bottom paint/change zincs and would like to do maintenance on my rudder. I live in Juneau Alaska and I can't seem to find a source for the seal, washer, and bushings. Anything suggestions you or anyone else can provide would be very helpful. In your post you did provide the size of O-ring but only pictures for the other components.
Again, I appreciate any help or suggestions!
Thanks.
Roger
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The upper bushing on my rudder stock was in good condition so I did not replace it. At that time Albin Motor had upper replacement bushings available but I cannot find one on their site at this time. They do have the lower bushing available:
https://albinmotor.se/en/complete-price ... -down.html

This may be a stocking issue so check with them to see if they are likely to bring in new stock before giving up.

The good news is you can remove the o-ring without having to remove the steel ring. I later helped a friend replace his o-ring using a hat pin and bending the tip of the pin at 90 degrees. This allowed us to hook the o-ring and draw it out. It was easy to grease and insert the new o-ring by pushing it down with my finger. The whole operation, apart from dropping the rudder, took 5 minutes. You will have to remove the upper bushing to do this but it came out quite easily in both situations.

The o-ring dimensions are critical. Until I tracked down a metric 0-ring of the correct size it was not possible to fit the shaft.

To fabricate a teflon bearing washer I used 1/16" thick sheet teflon. I held the teflon to a scrap piece of wood using double sided carpet tape. Holding the assembly in my bench vice, I first used a hole saw to drill out the shaft hole and then a larger hole saw to cut the outer diameter of the bearing. You need to use light pressure to avoid tearing the bearing from the tape.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

While you’re fooling around with the rudder, don’t forget to check the steering knuckle. If it’s off white plastic, replace it. That thread is here somewhere also.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”