• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 24 Getaway

Albin's "power cruisers"
tommy
Swabby
Swabby

Albin 24 Getaway

Post by tommy »

I bought an 1992 Albin 24 "Getaway" with a 318 Chrysler the end of last season as it fit both my budget and marina. I have always admired Albins and the timing worked right. I'm trying to get some information on this model; does anyone have any links or information to share. Thank you for any assistance, much appreciated.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

My 24 'Getaway' is a 1993 model with a 4lh-dte Yanmar diesel.

Am heading out of town in the morning and I'll get back to you in about ten days...

Enjoy...
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
tommy
Swabby
Swabby

Post by tommy »

thanks, look forward to it.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I saw the 24 Getaway at the Annapolis show either 92 or 93. We had a 27 aft cabin at the time but thought the Getaway was a very cleverly designed boat. It is just a shame that it did not become a good seller. It is another example of a potentially great boat design from the desk of Phil Compton that came along ahead of its time. It was intended as a trailer boat boat but in the early 90s big SUVs capable of towing it were not around. Also trying to sell a well built boat against the run-of-the-mill high volume sneaker boats is tough thing to do. People tend to shop by price first rather than quality.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Veebyes2 wrote:Phil Compton
Terry, just to give credit where it's due. :D
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Sorry :( , got the first name wrong. Great guy. Been awhile, but had a long conversation with him re the 32+2. Most helpful. Too bad others at Albin Marine did not have same attitude.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Albin “Getaway”

To the best of my knowledge the “Getaway” was produced from 1992 to 1996 in two hull models – the 24 and the 27. There were options within each model and some 48 units were produced. I don’t know how many of each were built. I have seen on the market a “Getaway” advertised as a 27/24. Suspect that the broker added the length of the swim platform, which was an option, as well as the length of the pulpit, to determine the overall length of a basic 24 “Getaway”.

The rest of my remarks will be based on my ownership of a ’93 24 “Getaway”, of which I am the third owner; broker sales listing; NADA price guides; “Roamn’ Holiday”, the “Boat Test Report #728”, Jeanne Craig, June 1992, from BOATING MAGAZINE; as well as from tidbits of information found on the internet and information gleaned from speaking with people who have knowledge of the 24 “Getaway”.

Veebyes2, in a previous post, cited one of the problems with the “Getaway” for its time – heavy. Hull was about 5500 lbs. Add in: an engine option - diesel or gas; a full 144 gallon tank of fuel; a 30 gallon water tank; a 10 gallon holding tank; a 6 gallon water heater; and owner’s stuff – you are probably looking at 7500 lbs to haul on a trailer. Under way there would be more weight…

The cabin area includes: a walk-in-head (6’2” max height) compartment, toilet, sink & shower capability; sleeping for two by converting the dinette table into a V berth; a quarter berth for a third sleeping area; as well as a stove and sink. Stowage accommodations are limited. A hatch to the forward deck over the V berth can provide air, light and escape…

There is an electrical distribution panel in the cabin area. The “Getaway” is equipped with 120V, 30A, AC service. 12 V DC service is also distributed from the distribution panel. Batteries are located behind the bottom step which services access to the cabin from the helm area. The battery on/off/1/2/B switch is located next to the bottom step. DC bus bars which service the helm area can be found behind the medicine cabinet located in the head area. Would suspect that the wiring in an older boat would not conform to the manufacturer’s design as most likely there have been additions or subtractions of equipment over the years.

There is access to the engine compartment from within the cabin in two places. First, is behind the back panel of one of the steps – giving limited access to the front of the engine. The second engine compartment access is through a panel on the engine compartment side of the quarter berth area. It gives me good access to the port side of my engine. It also allows for some contortionist movements when servicing the starboard side of the engine.

The main access to the engine area is through two hatches at the helm station. These hatches also provide access to servicing the water heater, holding tank, assorted valves and pumps, and any special equipment nearby such as an add on air conditioner.

A fifth access opening is gained by removing the latched aft steps from the aft deck to the helm deck. The transmission, shaft coupling, and fuel tank can now be serviced. This set of steps on my boat has been modified to serve as a plenum for getting more air into the engine compartment – but that is another story…

Albin offered three engine options: a 235 hp Chrysler gas; a 180 hp MerCruiser diesel; or a 170 hp Yanmar diesel.

Under the helmsman’s pedestal seat there is an area for an optional refrigerator. Another option was a Bimini top with an aluminum arch. The swim platform option included a ladder.

On the helm deck there is a built-in two-person bench seat that runs parallel to the port side. In my case, a pedestal seat has been added on top of part of the bench seat. A second person can now be seated looking forward while the third person is still facing the helmsman.

The aft deck has four hatches for bilge access, stowage and a live well box. There are some storage drawers under the bench seat. When cruising with several people aboard there is space for deck chairs and coolers. An add-on, on my boat, in lieu of the Bimini top, is a double T top which covers the helm deck and the aft deck. Additional canvas encloses the helm deck when hung.

The Albin 24 “Getaway” has served my needs well, as my first boat, and as a platform for dealing with theory and reality. There are many more fine points that could be covered, such as what improvements I would like to see. But in as much as we have a 16 year old design with 16 year old technology, the “Getaway” fits my needs just like when I use my Window’s ‘95 computer. I don’t need all the bells and whistles…

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
TopCat
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by TopCat »

found a listing for a pretty nice looking one on Yachtworld:
<>
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

The Albin Getaway identified by TopCat is being marketed as a 27 Getaway (LOA).

It is really a 24 Getaway hull. It does have some of the upgrade features that I wish I had on my 24 Getaway.

The upgrades point out that, although an Albin is a production boat, each boat seems to have its own special features.

Potential buyers should verify the hull number and other serial numbers when buying any boat...

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
tommy
Swabby
Swabby

Getaway

Post by tommy »

Thanks for the information, it has been very helpful. did you add the passenger seat? and if so what type is it. I know that the seating arrangement in the helm area is well designed but i have had complaints that people want to face forward when underway. Thank you everyone for your helpful responses.
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

The pedestal seat which is now mounted on the port side bench seat was on the boat when I bought it.

The seat itself is the same as the helm seat. The pedestal was shimmed to level it out on the bench seat. It is non adjustable both in the horizontal and vertical position. A piece of starboard runs under the seat mounting plate back to the arm panel of the bench seat. This gives bracing support. The overall height is higher than the arm panel so additional starboard blocking is used to level things out.

There is a drain vent near the pedestal on the side panel by the engine hatch. Don't know how the pedestal is bolted to the bench surface. Would have to remove the headline panel in the quarter berth...

Google Albin Getaway. The Quebec "Getaway" boat has a stern photo which shows two helm seats. Perhaps it will help...

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Re: Albin 24 Getaway

Post by Bidgood »

Though I would add this craigslist link to this older thread for what it is worth. Interesting boat that was new to me when I saw this listing. This thread pretty much covers it.
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"
tomsea
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Fairhaven MA

Post by tomsea »

I am looking at an Albin Getaway with no engine.
Can someone tell me what the crushing speed, and WOT would be with the Chrysler 318?
Would the speed be slower with the Yanmar 170?
Thank you!!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

tomsea wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 pm I am looking at an Albin Getaway with no engine.
Can someone tell me what the crushing speed, and WOT would be with the Chrysler 318?
Would the speed be slower with the Yanmar 170?
Thank you!!
Not sure on speed, lots of factors go into that. However generally speaking the diesel is way higher efficiency and safety. Gasoline on boats is not ideal. A gas v8 is generally a fuel funnel...

Edit: if you do decide to buy this and install a Chrysler 318, I do have a beautiful full set of motor mounts from freshwater boat for 318 and velvet drive as well as a nice starter I’d sell very reasonable.
tomsea
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Fairhaven MA

Post by tomsea »

Do you have a Getaway?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”