• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bristobob@76
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Delray Beach Fl

Re: Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Post by Bristobob@76 »

Veprjack
I lived aboard for around twenty years, mostly year around in the Portsmouth NH/Kittery Maine area.
This is just my two cents.
You can live aboard a lot of boats depending on your need for personal space and light, if you will be under shrinkwrap in the winter.
Most of my time was on a well built 41ft trawler which was built in the 70’s, which I put a ton of work and time in. It was hand built (fiberglass) in Maine.
I realized that smaller was better for daily cost and maintenance and moved to a well built 34 ft trawler (built in this country).
Summers on the mooring in the estuary were dream like. Rowing back and forth to shore for all needs including work.
Winters were on a dock with electricity but no sewer or water. Had an Electra-San and the live aboards on the dock would pick a day twice a month to run all our hoses together from a onshore bathroom to fill our water tanks-water conservation all winter.
I had enough fuel tank capacity to run a diesel heater-which I used on a sailboat earlier in my adventure, but chose to use built in electric thermostaticly controled.
My sleeping cabin was warm enough wearing sweats, my main cabin, being all windows didn’t get over 52 degrees at night- toasty during a sunny day.
The marina had a ghostly peace during dead of winter, when leaving for work at sun up, the ice covered docks had baby seals on them, hoping to warm themselves in the rising sun.
If you would live on a A27, it could be ideal south of Annapolis, a challenge in northern waters.
Your challenge with an A27 would be a small water tank. Waste could easily be handled with a composting head and solar panels on the hard top to drive a fan. I would consider a Bimini over the cockpit which turns it into living space most of the year.
I currently live in a small house with a small mortgage in Florida and will feel the financial dent that my live aboard life and old boats put in my life until they dump my ashes at sea, BUT I have few regrets. Live your life, while you have it.
Live your dream!
Just my two cents
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Mary Jo looks right at home there, Bearkeley!
Love the new colors too.

My 27FC "Bunkie" was used by the PO as an "apartment" during the week in Deale, MD. He was working a 2 year contract job and figured a comfortable boat local to his workplace would suit him fine. He would drive the 2-1/2 hours home only for the weekends.

His contract work was done, he listed the boat for sale and I bought her.

But..."Bunkie" was on the Chesapeake when he was a part-time liveaboard.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We gave serious thought to finding a 34-36 foot Taiwan trawler to keep up in NW Washington for a summer "home" a few years ago.They would be a good live aboard boat. But we ran into the same budget issues. Boats that we could afford could be potential money pits. Plus they would be based over 1,000 miles away from our permanent home in AZ. Living on a boat full time may cost more than one might think. In marinas that do allow full time live aboard it's only usually a few slips, not across the board, plus if you can get one there's often a surcharge of over $200 to $300 per month or more above the base rate. So in the end we decided to stick with trailering our A25.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

See post in General Discussion about a young couple who lives aboard a Albin Vega 27 sailboat in Titusville, FL.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”