• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Veprjack
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Salem MA

Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Post by Veprjack »

Selling my Pearson 303 and looking for a motor boat to LIVE on - but will actively cruise. Some (not many) will tell you living aboard can be done in a dinghy with a tarp :shock: so... I noticed there isn't a "Liveaboard" thread on this forum, but I'd like to hear opinions and perhaps experiences. I know it will be a bit Spartan, but...

I have looked at Leaky-Teaky trawlers, Bayliners, Chris Craft, Trojans, etc. My general conclusion is that most of them (in their condition) would make excellent liveaboards but need a LOT of TLC, etc. to get them "going". My puny $30K budget and lack of skills really limits my options. Most friends in the know tell me that in my price range, most trawlers would be expensive project boats. Gas prices make cruising too expensive and twin diesels can be $30+ per hour to run. The 32' Cape Dory would probably be a great fit, but they are usually over $40K.

I am tired of looking at project boats beyond my skills, boats too costly to run, etc. Virtual dock condo does not appeal to me! An Albin 27' looks like it might be a fit for a single guy like me (who plans to stay single :mrgreen:) with simple needs.. Yes, I would probably have moments of regret when I see people dancing in their huge salons, but would have the last laugh as I head for Cape Cod for $60 instead of at LEAST $300+ in fuel!!

I plan to look at one later this week. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Al ... ted-States

Advice/Opinions appreciated!
Selling my Pearson303 to buy a 27' Albin!
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Re: Live aboard a 27' aft cabin?

Post by tbnolin »

I feel your pain when it comes to finding a good liveaboard. We too, had a budget of 30-40K range, 32-40' range. Many were high maintenance, leaky, needed work,etc.,etc.. Find something that you'll be comfortable in for a long period of time. Unfortunately, you may have to up your price range...but you want to be happy. We ended up blowing our budget....but were extremely happy with our purchase. Because we're not using it any longer...it's for sale. Hopefully someone will chime in on the 27' you're looking at....as I know nothing about it!

Good luck!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I have never lived aboard (other than in warships), but I owned an A-27 Express and now an A-30 FC. I think the A-27 series are great boats for the money and there are a lot of them around with many different engines. If you are not handy I would focus on finding one with a good engine and drive train. The rest is comparatively easy to keep up and they are cheap to run. Space is tight in an A-27 but the aft cabin configuration lets you separate your sleeping and clothes storage area (aft) from the main cabin/galley area (forward). That is a big plus for a live abord. Good luck!
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Veprjack
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Salem MA

Post by Veprjack »

Thanks for the info, stories and encouragement! I just can't see myself fixing and maintaining a leaky-teaky trawler or "classic" twin gas fly bridge beast! The Albin may just be the boat for me. Reliable, seaworthy, and ECONOMICAL, if somewhat cramped. Oh, and within my budget!
Selling my Pearson303 to buy a 27' Albin!
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Veprjack,

I purchased a 1987 Albin 27 FC in December 2011 and love it. For the most part, the vessel that your looking at is very much like mine as I also have the Nissan which has been a great engine. The 360 hours on the boat you have posted is very low, mine had 1048hrs which I thought was low.

In my opinion, the FC would be great as a liveaboard.....but I see that you live in Salem, MA., so if you plan on staying there for the winter it may be uncomfortable, I grew up in Swampscott so I know how the winters can be. The camper canvas is great, but will not provide a lot of warmth in the winter.

Make sure you hire a good marine surveyor to inspect the vessel, engine, and all systems. You may also want to look into purchasing a small Honda generator unless you will have access to shorepower.

Good luck with your search, feel free to throw out any questions.

Regards,

John
"Nirvana"
obertra9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by obertra9 »

I have a
27SC that I have overnighted on with as many as 3 but usually by myself. Some comments on live aboard. Spartan it would be for 1, can you live out of a duffle bag? Take the SC if you want more cockpit, the FC if you want more storage in the aft cabin. Where will you be cruising. I don't have air conditioning so I would do the great lakes in the summer. If you were doing NOLA you would need some major renovation for air conditioning at dock. The head would be better if they left the sink out. Forget about showering in the boat, you must have shower access. The dinette is useless, eat on the cockpit and fully convert the forward cabin to a comfy bed for 1. Cruise at 5knots, 6mph, and enjoy 0.75 gph. Again, I could do it if I were located where I did not need the ac, or the heat.
Roger A. Obert
1990 Albin 27 SC
Solitude II
Cincinnati, Ohio
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

We are into our second season with our 27FC and love the boat. One of the things that attracted us to the 27 was the size of the cockpit. That's where most of the space is on the 27. Forward and aft cabins are rather small. With full canvas you can extend the season but don't think you could make it through a New England winter. Other considerations, small holding tank and no refridge.
Nissan engine seems to be very strong. We just turned 2000 hrs. The one you're looking at is very low hours which could have it's own issues. Make sure you get a compression check and oil analysis.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

We had our 27AC for 13 years. Usually did something like 30 nights per year onboard. Great family boat for weekending. Possibly good couples boat for extended cruising. Not sure about use as a livaboard for one especially in a cold climate.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Brad
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: transient

Post by Brad »

I live aboard an Albin 27 FC. I bought the boat just little over a year ago and Have traveled the Tennessee river and the Cumberland river since then. I am powered by a the Lehman 604d engine. I get about 5 to 6 miles to the gallon at 5 to 6 MPH. The only thing I wish I had is the full Bimini enclosure to keep the aft cabin a more connected to the rest of the boat and increase the living space during bad weather. MY motto is " Don't waste poverty"so I think your 30,000 dollar budget will do you okay. There is always something to clean,fix,replace or improve on any boat but I wish you well.
g.j.farmiloe
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Grand River Ohio

Post by g.j.farmiloe »

We have a 1989 Albin 32 Sportfish Bridge. It has been a great live aboard & a great cruising boat.
The aft area has a king size bed berth. Also very economical, with a single Cummins engine. You might want to include it in your search for a boat.
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Post by tranmkp »

The guy I bought my A27 AC from lived aboard - It was in a cover shed slip so it was not that hot in summer - Of course he used the marina showers/pool/whatever. It was just a place to sleep and reed and maybe heat up some soup. He mostly used it for beer...

I would rate it on par with the county jail....but to some its a luxury.

;-)
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We had an A27 AC for 10 years and lived aboard for most of the summer - traveling to Block island, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, the Cape etc. I NEVER wanted to go home! Being able to store clothes and bedding in one cabin and food and other stuff in another and having the full canvas/isinglass enclosure for the salon/wheel house gives bonus living space. We ate in the galley or up in the salon on a small collapsible table. Both of these cabins are good for reading or playing games (if you have a guest). Good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with. We had the Westerbeke 100.

Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok
Westbrook, CT
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I mst say having the full cockpit enclosure made the boat cosey though having the warm climate here we seldom went into 'houseboat' mode except for really rainy days when we were determined not to let the weather win.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Porch
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Tenakee, Alaska

Post by Porch »

Would the New England winter aboard be more endurable if you extended the hardtop aft from the helm, all the way to cover the aft cabin. I've seen several Albin 25's with the overhead extended aft. With the extended hard top, you can simply add/remove the canvas sides by unrolling and zipping or snapping. I've even seen one Albin 25 that had not only hard top extended aft, but all sides of the cockpit, instead of furling canvas/vinyl, were also built of plywood. He did a good job of it and she looked both solid and aesthetically pleasing; plus, his cockpit space would be a lot easier to keep warm. Access was via small doors fixed as part of either side of the cockpit cover sides. Also- note that with extended hard cockpit "roof", the space on top of cockpit now becomes the perfect area to store your kayak. Altogether an obligatory conversion for colder climates, and not that difficult/expensive to build. I've seen plans on the net for the Albin 25, and seen several photos on the net of an Albin 27 rigged in this fashion, but no plans have I found available.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

About time for me to chime in on the subject -

My Albin 27 FC was used as a "three days a week" liveaboard for two years, in the Chesapeake area. The previous owner would rather stay on the boat than commute 3 hours a day. Not quite the same climate as Boston though.

To comment on Porch's post: Once upon a time, I had done several renderings of just as he describes - an extended hardtop with enclosures - just to see what it would look like. I later read on the web of a gentleman wanting to do just this with his Albin. A couple emails later and a few month's work and here it is:
Albin 27 Sedan Project Rendering.jpg
Albin 27 Sedan Project 1.jpg
The boat was originally a 27FC but the previous owner had cut away the aft cabin to make it into an "SC" for fishing. The good news is that it gives the boat a small cockpit for lounging, line handling and drowning worms. Access is through double back doors to the new salon. The decision for sliders or roll up vinyl side windows hasn't been made yet. Sliders would make it truly weather tight and about as "live-aboard" as you could get with a Albin 27.

I'm truly amazed what he has done with my simple computer drawing and the speed he is working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”