• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

alcohol stove v. propane

Albin's "power cruisers"
JeffScott92
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

alcohol stove v. propane

Post by JeffScott92 »

Looking for opinions. I know there is lack of them here.

I have a propane 2 burner in the cabin counter top. The propane locker is below decks, just behind the helm.

I eventually want to add a generator in this area and am thinking about taking out the propane system to free up space. Thinking about using an Origo 2 burner alcohol system instead. This would free up the under deck space and gas line and make the burners self contained.

I haven't had any issues with the propane and brew my coffee in a percolator on the burner.

Can the alcohol "do the cooking"????

I do appreciate the opinions and posts. I have learned a great deal about my 27FC on this site. I love it a little bit more every day.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: alcohol stove v. propane

Post by Jay Knoll »

Jeff

I hate alcohol stoves although I must admit my experience is with a pressurized version. Slow and smelly.

I installed propane and have never regretted it

Jay
saltypaws
Mate
Mate
Home Port: port charlotte fl. March 2019 Relocated to Clifton Royal New Brunswic

Post by saltypaws »

Jeff, we faced the same issue for replacing a propane camp stove in Lola Girl our A 25. Installed by some previous owner. The safe set up for the propane is quite expensive and the construction and location of the properly vented locker difficult to locate. Final decision we bought the 2 burner alcohol cooktop. Tested on our garage. Took 10 min to bring an 8 cup perculator to boil. Works for us. Will be returning to Florida early January to install.

Dave.
jvh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Brunswick, Canada

Post by jvh »

I love my Origo alcohol stove. It is non pressurized, safe and very easy to fuel up. I am the cook aboard our ship and since we are never in a big rush who cares if it takes a little time. The only trick to the stove is that you need to keep it out of a breeze. It just hates when both the front hatch and the door are open and it causes a wind tunnel, messing with the flame.I use the rectangle piece of countertop (on the Albin25 it's the cover when the stove is not in use) as a deflector by arranging it where it will stop the breeze and it works perfectly. And we use methyl hydrate from the hardware store as the fuel. Way cheaper, just as safe, no noticeable smell, and it works great.

Jean
Old Maggie
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

I threw out the built in stove on my 27 and reclaimed the counter space. Now using a portable one burner butane stove. If you need a second burner buy a second unit. East to stow and with these you are not limited to where you can cook.

Depends on the amount of cooking you plan to do.

Alcohol stoves aren't the safest way to go.

Just one old coots opinion.
Vic
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Actually, an alcohol stove like the Origo, is safer than the propane, especially if your gas locker is below deck. I've used both systems and the propane is the best but only if the installation is absolutely correct. I have the Origo on my 27 and love it as is. I considered changing to propane but this little unit is safe, convenient, and takes just a little longer to boil water, but I'm not in any hurry any more. The safety issues with alcohol were on the old pressurized units, and they were truly safety hazards. Now that I've had the Origo for a couple of years, I wouldn't consider changing to anything else on this boat. Ben
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Not to add fuel to the fire (no pun intended) but between butane and alcohol which way would you go? Assuming single burner...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Not to add fuel to the fire (no pun intended) but between butane and alcohol which way would you go? Assuming single burner...
I've never used alcohol, but butane is *so* easy and the stoves are very inexpensive.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
johnvb1014
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Wilson NY

Post by johnvb1014 »

We have a (non pressurized) alcohol stove on our 27 and like it very much. Simple and efficient. We recently bought a 25 that has a propane system on it. Have not used it yet, but the entire set up is certainly more complex with propane locker, plumbing and gas detection. If anyone wants to swap an alcohol stove for my propane system, I'd be interested.

John VB
joebuz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dauphin Island, AL

Post by joebuz »

I have used virtually all systems in my 35 years of cruising on sailboats. I was intrigued by the Origo two burner that was on my 27FC when we bought her early this year. We really like the Origio. Maybe a little slower but certainly safer. Just returned from a week on the water and have no plans to change to another system. IMO, propane is good if properly installed and operated correctly. Pressurized alcohol is extremely dangerous on a boat.
Joe

"Eagle"
1984 Albin 27FC
Lehman 4D61
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Isn't butane just as dangerous as propane or am I missing something? Aren't both heavier than air and sink to the bilge if released?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

kerrye, You are correct. Both are heavier than air. If I was going to use s butane unit, I'd have a properly sealed and vented locker to store the butane unit in when it wasn't being used. Ben
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Jeremyvmd wrote:I've never used alcohol, but butane is *so* easy and the stoves are very inexpensive.
My favorite was the gimbaled 'Sea Cook' propane stoves - Mount it on a bulkhead with two screws, screw a standard propane bottle on the bottom and you're good to go. They used to be relatively cheap ($75 or so) but they quit making them several years ago. Now, when I do find a used one on eBay, they always want $200 . . . . and they actually seem to be selling in that range

We're using a single burner propane camp stove now. It comes with base for the bottom of the propane bottle and a screw on 'stove' for the top of the bottle. Not gimbaled at all, but we usually anchor where it's quiet and this allows us to cook out in the cockpit, which we prefer especially in warmer weather. We also have a bottle propane grill for steaks, burgers and chicken and we set that on the top of the aft cabin

I had built-in propane on both of my sailboats - Never been fond of alcohol fires . . . .

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

My butane one burner stove is self contained and butane is in a single canister about the size of a coke can that is connected to the burner when you need it. When not used the burner and canister fits in a 12 X 12X 4" case of its own and stores easily. If you need two burners you just buy a second unit and use when you need it. It's simple.

Vic
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I stow propane and butane canisters wrapped in bubble wrap or similar in one of the transom fish boxes. They are all vented overboard.

I agree that there is no fuel source that is 100% safe.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”