• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by tribologist »

We use a Thetford MSD portapotty. Works good. We get about 3 days with two people
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Float that sucker! Can't wait!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Yepp. Pack the hole with a cork and go boating!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

Gosh you guys. Wait for me. I wanna tag along.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

“Pack the hole with a cork and go boating!”

Consider it corked!
F5876D11-CC1B-4748-857E-7B788DF02ABA.jpeg
Son helped. What a PITA, though! Keel is not that easy to work in, especially under the shaft. Loooong needle nose pliers are your friend.

1/2” NPT pipe plug. As common as prizes in a Cracker Jack box.

Wait… they still put prizes in Cracker Jack, don’t they?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

hetek wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:01 pm “Pack the hole with a cork and go boating!”

Consider it corked!

F5876D11-CC1B-4748-857E-7B788DF02ABA.jpeg

Son helped. What a PITA, though! Keel is not that easy to work in, especially under the shaft. Loooong needle nose pliers are your friend.

1/2” NPT pipe plug. As common as prizes in a Cracker Jack box.

Wait… they still put prizes in Cracker Jack, don’t they?

Nice!!! Did it float?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

The hole is corked but not splashed yet.

My to do list is getting very short now. I’m also culling unnecessary items.

“Fix trailer wiring”. Two marker lights don’t work but the taillights are fine. Solution: haul the boat during the day. Cross that one off the list (this time).

“Find someone with a tow vehicle”. I don’t own one and I don’t really have anyone to ask. Solution: UHaul pickup truck. Crossed off the list.

I’ll address the side markers on the trailer eventually but I’m not going to let it prevent me from making forward progress towards the water.

Getting close…
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

In order to continue forward progress, I’ve been separating projects into “day” and “night”. If it’s best to do during the daytime it becomes a “day” project. If I can do it at night in the garage it becomes a “night” project.

“Day” was all the wiring on the boat. Hard but not impossible to do at night but I’d rather not.

My two latest “night” projects were changing the parking position and verifying the arc of wiper sweep of the new wiper motors. Done on my bench in the garage. A small thing, I know. But it keeps me busy and motivated. And I already bought them, last year, so…

I also assembled my teak mast/nav light assembly. In my garage, at night. I went with LEDs. May or may not keep them LED or swap back to incandescent. Dunno. Easy bulb swap, regardless.

Here it is… ready to go on the boat in the “day”…
2108E386-20B9-4169-A7AE-313628A579C9.jpeg
I know… I only had 1/4” King Starboard in white. Wish I had black, but… I had to mount slightly oversized lights to a slightly underside mast somehow. I went with it. Not too shabby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Very nice looking gösstake! I swapped over all my lights to LED and are very happy with the reduced power consumption. Does not matter for running lights but its good to keep anchor light and interior lights LED.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

hetek wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:48 pm In order to continue forward progress, I’ve been separating projects into “day” and “night”. If it’s best to do during the daytime it becomes a “day” project. If I can do it at night in the garage it becomes a “night” project.

“Day” was all the wiring on the boat. Hard but not impossible to do at night but I’d rather not.

My two latest “night” projects were changing the parking position and verifying the arc of wiper sweep of the new wiper motors. Done on my bench in the garage. A small thing, I know. But it keeps me busy and motivated. And I already bought them, last year, so…

I also assembled my teak mast/nav light assembly. In my garage, at night. I went with LEDs. May or may not keep them LED or swap back to incandescent. Dunno. Easy bulb swap, regardless.

Here it is… ready to go on the boat in the “day”…
2108E386-20B9-4169-A7AE-313628A579C9.jpeg

I know… I only had 1/4” King Starboard in white. Wish I had black, but… I had to mount slightly oversized lights to a slightly underside mast somehow. I went with it. Not too shabby.

Kinda interested in your measurements on this.

I was thinking of doing one.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Hi Thumper

If you are referring to the light mast (as I call it) I can easily put a tape measure on it for you. I know someone has a detailed drawing somewhere but would take some searching to find.

If I were to make one from scratch, I would definitely make it a bit beefier. It has a nice taper and rather unique shape but I wasn’t joking when I said it was slightly undersized.

For example, the top where the anchor light goes is a rather small triangular area of real estate to mount the fixture. Add to that the hole for the wiring and it leaves even less area to work with. Not a single screw hole on the fixture landed on the triangle. That’s why I made the white “adapters”. Same with the steaming light fixture in front. No screw holes landed on the wood. Another adapter there too.

The original Albin lights that must have fit like a glove are long gone. I had to use what is currently available as replacements.

If you do make your own, I recommend you buy the lights first and build the mast to fit.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Teak stock…

Tip to tail = 21-1/4”
Width at base end = 2-7/8”
Thickness = 1-1/2”

Like I wrote earlier, the screw holes on the front steaming light are 1-1/2” apart. The teak is 1-1/2” thick. That won’t work so I made the adapter. Probably could have redrilled the mounting holes in the light but I didn’t.

Front edge is blunt/square edge, slightly relieved.
Back edge tapers towards a triangle, but not quite. The bottom end is left square with no taper. I think you can see the transition from square to taper in the picture.

The tapered trailing edge helps it cut down on wind resistance which allows the boat go faster.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

More progress!

Running lights…
Green means go, right? I mean… “starboard”?

See what I did there?
A75D8861-1CD6-4866-9304-ACAB64CDD9D6.jpeg
Here’s port. Note the wedge I made to keep the mounting surface for the light vertical.
00B45766-75D3-41CC-9E1A-713FEB0CD45A.jpeg
Here’s the inside. Tried to dress it up with acorn nuts. Light fixture is through bolted.
1A1C8200-BBC6-4B35-B37A-C33F43BBDA60.jpeg
Last but not least, I drilled and tapped my water lock for a stainless steel ball valve to drain it… just in case. Filling up from too much engine cranking and winterizing comes to mind.
B7E8457A-7AA3-4BD5-A6D0-8E4AE724F7D2.jpeg
Next… bottom paint!

To do… test run engine and… wait for it… wait for it…

LAUNCH!!!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

All good! Go, Johnny, go, go, go!