• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My dad just turned 90 yesterday. He and my mom (86 years young) are both eager to see me launch the Albin. I can’t disappoint!
That's great that your parents are still with you! Make the most of the time they have left. I miss my stepdad who passed in 2011, a few weeks short of turning 91. He would have turned 102 on his birthday in December this year had he lived that long. He had joined the Nanticoke River Yacht Club in Blades, DE after my mom passed in 2003. They had moved to Delaware from upstate NY in 1983 in search of lower cost of living after retiring. He didn't own a boat but the club was his social life. A month before he passed from cancer the club awarded him the title of honorary commodore because he was the life of the party and so well liked and active in the club. That's why we launched from Blades during our 2015 Chesapeake cruise.
IMG_0144.JPG
Docked for a lunch stop at Vienna, MD on the way down Naniticoke River, June, 2015 .
DSCN2844.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

To answer your questions, Ulf…

No, I didn’t paint the outside. I have original gel coat on hull and topsides. It wasn’t in bad shape at all. Just dirty now though. I only painted inside the cabin.

The Garboard plug is interesting and you added some insight to the equation. When I tried to take the original plug out it would not, and I mean NOT, come out. Perhaps the previous owner had the thread mismatch problem you mentioned and solved it with some 5200 sealant.

I solved the problem with a cutting disk and a grinder. Problem solved!

I cut the whole thing off and have ready to go in a brand new bronze plug and flange fitting, bronze bolts, nuts and some 5200 to bed it in.

At least I know the plug is a readily available off the shelf item now.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

DA… Very nice picture of you and the “Commodore”.

My dad’s step-father joined the Triangle Yacht Club in Greenport, NY, to hang with friends and have “dock-tails” too. He didn’t own a boat either. Matter of fact, I don’t even know if the yacht club even had a dock. They did have a bar, I’m sure of that!

I finished building my Glen-L TNT boat in his backyard in the summer of ‘77. To this day I remember him commenting how it had “nice lines”. Guess he had some boater in him after all.

Labor Day is my birthday. I’m going to be 63 years young!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Three day weekend is here. Let’s see how far I get down my punch list. My only non-boat activities are to mow the lawn (1-1/2 hour) and to go to a car show with my son later today. His treat.

Oh, and my kids are taking me out for dinner for my birthday (wife is working - ugh!).

Other than that, full steam ahead!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Happy birthday!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks for the well wishes, DA!

I’ve been busy lately. Recent projects included a horn installation and a new switch panel. And also tracing out the wiring for the wipers (they’re next).

I am not a fan of drilling holes in fiberglass at random. Sad to say, many previous owners did not share my view. Their mantra must have been “Have drill… Make hole”.

When it came to installing a horn, do I mount a trumpet type? Argh! Don’t want to drill a hole! My solution? I hid a single waterproof stainless steel compact horn inside the Beckson vent for the head compartment. Don’t worry, I blocked off the vent duct to the head with a 1/4” plate of King Starboard. Gave me something to mount the horn to also. And the duct makes a better conduit for the horn wiring than a ventilation duct. And it is LOUD.

The switch panel I made from a handy strip of aluminum. I mounted it in the dash where a two knob old school cassette deck was once upon a time. There was already a gaping hole there.

Projects completed: 2. New holes drilled: Zero.

Pics:
E8D5881F-4073-4D7B-8F37-045F3DD43C9A.jpeg
C6BD9516-0E5C-4456-897D-1894D2D8E0C8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I’m with you on the extraneous hole thing.
E1E3193E-8AE7-4E06-AC05-1DD0590C6809.jpeg
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Love the transistor radio! Obviously a classic, but the speaker magnet may be a wee bit close to the compass.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Well no wonder I couldn't get the heading sensor calibrated! All that rock and soul!
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Good eye, dkirsop! I didn’t notice.

Speaking of magnets and compasses…

38 years ago I worked as a rigger at a local marina. We had a client that hired a professional compass compensator.

I asked him about how accurate out of the box it was. He said “not bad, but much better now”. I asked “why not perfect?” as a joke. He replied “It never will be”.

I asked what would it take to make it perfect? He said “remove all metal from the boat.”

So… I guess he got it very, very close instead.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Nothing makes me want to leave meeting more than ” as good as possible” requirements
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Final dash layout. And no additional holes! I made the best use of the ones that were there.

I used a blank Faria 2” gauge to put my two pump power indicator lights in. I also filled in a 3/8” hole with MarineTex and redrilled it to mount the VHF mic clip.

Pay no attention to the yellow drop light I left hanging from the wheel. Nothing to see there. Or the dust.
8CBFF1D2-EE3B-42E1-916A-5EA5F10BA068.jpeg
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

hetek wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:47 pm Final dash layout. And no additional holes! I made the best use of the ones that were there.
8CBFF1D2-EE3B-42E1-916A-5EA5F10BA068.jpeg
Sure looks like a clean install. Nice job. Hopefully my boat will still float when I get done with her.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yellow drop light? I thought it was a bungee autopilot just like mine.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thumper74 - Actually, my boat won’t float… yet. I still haven’t replaced the Garboard plug yet, so technically…

Willie C - I may employ your autopilot method for a while. I constantly go down the rabbit hole on projects and if I don’t stop I may never finish my rebuild. A proper autopilot is far down the road for me.

Case in point: I researched head plumbing and composting head options, … all to realize it will take me weeks to finish working part time. I bought a port-o-pottie instead. Crossed that project off my “to do” list that day.

My focus now is “running and driving” and Coast Guard approved. But I”ve said that before…
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”