• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member seeking advice

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
billmorris
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Narragansett Bay

New member seeking advice

Post by billmorris »

Hello,

My name is Bill Morris and I have been a sailor for 71 years. I moved to Albany, a place not conducive to sailboats. I am thinking of buying a Albin 27 (aft cabin, if possible). That boat seems to fit my needs and abilities. I do have a CG Captain license, and have some experience with power boats both as a summer job and as a member of the USCGAux, but still I consider myself to be inexperienced.

My only experiences with the Albin 27 is test driving one in Maine, and taking one out to Block Island. Both experiences were highly enjoyable.

I would be grateful for any advice, hints, suggestions that those of you with "Local Knowledge" can give me. My intention is to stay in the Hudson, with possible side trips south and up the Mohawk River/Erie Canal. From what I can see, most, if not all, are salt water boats. I realize that is not optimum, but the 27 itself makes me willing to go that way.

Thank you.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: New member seeking advice

Post by tego »

Bill, Welcome to the group. As an ex sailor and about your same age probably, I agree that a 27FC will make you feel right at home. I love mine. If you can, look for one made after May of '87. Albin made several changes about then that made a better boat, especially for an old fart like me. Give me a call sometime and I can discuss it with you. PM me for my number. I'll be off line till about thurs. night, but I'll check my messages then. Ben
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Can't help you with Albin 27 issues, I'm an A25 guy, and ex-sailboater too, mostly a number of trailer sailers over the period from 1998 to 2012 including a Montgomery 15 & Catalina 25. Speaking of Mohawk River/Erie Canal we are currently on the road tonight in Tucumcari, NM on our way home to Phoenix, AZ from Syracuse NY, trailering our A25 after an aborted cruise on Erie Canal. Our intended plan was to run the full length of the Erie from Tonawanda to Waterford & on down the Hudson to NYC. The hot muggy weather, effects of the remnants of TS Fred, and now Henri convinced us to cut the trip short. After launch in Tonawanda we got as far as Baldwinsville & through Lock E-24, about half the total mileage on the canal before deciding to cut over to Lake Onondaga and haul out at the county marina there in Liverpool & head home. You might also like to look into the smaller Albin 25, easier to handle & more economical to operate. If you happen to be a BoatUS member & magazine subscriber there's an article about our travels aboard La Dolce Vita in the February-March 2020 issue of BoatUS Magazine. See our latest on the A25/A27 page under "DA Reconnaisance".

PS, the aft cabin "Family Cruiser" version is the most common variant of A27.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Bill
Welcome to AOG; you are in the right place.
We've had our '84 27FC since 2015. Prior to that we were "boat renters and borrowers" for years in the UK, Europe and San Diego (both foreign service types - so no boats, no dogs or cats, and lots of travel). We now have boats and a dog, and travel less. We have thoroughly enjoyed cruising around in the mid-Chesapeake Bay since then - scaring the fish, visiting a few places, joining the UMd Dolphin Watch with some success, and just generally messing about in boats.
My toolbox has grown exponentially, and I have remembered a lot about fixing small boats that I had forgotten from my teenage days on the Thames.
Our intent is to leave the Bay next season and make a permanent move to Alexandria on the Potomac, 15 minutes from our home, just river cruising and having a great seat for the fireworks on the 4th in DC. May even cruise up to Nationals Park for a few games (30 minute run and decent transient parking if you are lucky).

I hope you are successful in your search for a 27. They are super boats, simple to run and look after, and I'd guess perfect for those of us of a certain age.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “New Member Introductions”