• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NJ Newbie looking for 28te

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Stormy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Barnegat Bay

NJ Newbie looking for 28te

Post by Stormy »

Hello everyone. Barnegat Bay NJ. Looking for 28te to mostly fish but some cruising. Never owned a diesel before so that will be interesting. Have lots of o/b experience and owned a 26 Shamrock years ago.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: NJ Newbie looking for 28te

Post by Jkraft »

Welcome, I have owned a few 26 Shamrocks myself and went from my 26 to the 28 Albin. Feel free to reach out if you want. I loved the 26 Shamrock but this is a totally different animal
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Just so happens I am a Barnegat (as in township of), NJ native (family moved out of state in '67, been in AZ since '77). You'll like diesels. No need for running a blower before startup. Much safer that gasoline. Just never, ever let it run out fuel completely because with diesels the biggest enemy is air getting into the fuel lines. Not a huge deal but if that happens you have to bleed out the fuel system.
BarnegatBayBoat.jpg
Barnegat Inlet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Stormy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Barnegat Bay

Post by Stormy »

"Me on my late father's Garvey clam boat out fishing on Barnegat Bay circa 1964
Running Barnegat Inlet seaward in a Montgomery 15 sailboat in 2002, motoring against an incoming tide with a 3.5 HP outboard."

I've lived here my whole life. I owned a Conklin garvey and been on a lot of others. I clam right in the area where that picture with lighthouse is. For those who don't know what a garvey is, it's the most stable and can carry the heaviest load and was built for Barnegat Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

For those who don't know what a garvey is, it's the most stable and can carry the heaviest load and was built for Barnegat Bay
I wish I had photos of my dad's old garvey, but alas the closest I have is that picture of me at the tiller when I was 12 years old. But basically a garvey is flat bottomed, shallow draft, square chines, with pram style bow. Often wooden built, sometimes glassed over plywood or plank-on-frame with caulked seams. My dad's was like this photo on the web link below, except instead of an outboard it was inboard powered with an adapted 1937 Chrysler 6 cylinder flat head car engine of about 60 HP or so that my dad pulled out of an old car that once belonged to my grandfather. Also he added a small plywood cuddy cabin up near the bow. Some versions have a shallow V shape at the bow, others just flat pram.

garvey.jpg
Related website:

https://co.ocean.nj.us/WebContentFiles/ ... f93efa.pdf

This was the Montgomery 15 that I ran the inlet with. If you know the Barnegat Inlet you know it's pretty nuts running the inlet in a 15 foot boat with a 4.5 knot displacement hull speed and a 3.5 HP motor that had a self contained 1 quart internal gas tank.
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

Welcome, Stormy. I bought my an Albin 28 TE last year as my first diesel. Like you, I planned a lot of fishing (which I still do), but have grown a new found passion for cruising. With the cabin, it's so easy to visit other marinas or simply anchor out for an overnight in a new area. Best of luck in your search. This forum has been extremely helpful to me as a new Albin owner and I got to meet over a dozen owners at the Chesapeake Bay Rendezvous in person who taught me several things as well. Great community.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"

Return to “New Member Introductions”