• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer an Albin 27

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Pigletsays
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: New york

Trailer an Albin 27

Post by Pigletsays »

Hi happy to find fellow Albin owners. Already read the trailer page. trying to move my albin 27 I just bought. Knew she was trailerable but not that it was such a mission to move her! Anybody have a modified trailer I could rent? Paid a professional boat mover a lot of $ to do it and they can't find me the right trailer ... boat is in FL ... I can come get trailer and return or pay you to bring to me to rent. Thank you!!!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Trailer an Albin 27

Post by DCatSea »

When we bought "Mazboot" in 2015 she was in Charleston. I trucked her up to MD on a flatbed carrier/semi rather than the prescribed three-axle trailer and large pickup rig. It wasn't cheap but didn't break the bank and gave me peace-of-mind knowing that she was on a carrier that could safely handle the load over a distance and at highway speeds.
I'm sure the company is still in business and if you PM me I'll dig out their info. to share.

Good luck with your new toy.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailer an Albin 27

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's always the conundrum with larger, heavier boats with wider beams over the 8'6" limit before wide load permits become necessary. Our Albin 25 was based in Florida once upon a time in the 1990s when it was owned by a Canadian from Ontario Province on Lake Erie (the PO prior to the PO we bought her from). They purchased a new custom fitted aluminum trailer in 1999 built by a Florida based outfit named Tropic Trailers. That was a family owned company that has since gone out of business.

Late last summer some sailing friends of ours paid $8,000 to have this 17,000 lb deep keel "Southern Cross 31" cutter hauled by a big rig semi on a quadruple axle trailer about 2,000 miles from Bay CIty, MI to Lake Pleasant in Peoria, AZ. That was a company based out of North Carolina. I could ask & find out the name of the company if you're interested. They actually contracted with them through a broker, which is an option to find the best deal & schedule.
20211116_103945.jpg
It might be worth the investment to find or have your own trailer built to fit for your A27. That would enhance the resale value & make off season storage easier. Then with a heavy duty pickup, say a 350/3500 4X4, either with single wheel or 1 ton dually, you could haul it back & forth from NY to FL for the winter and back to NY for the summer. Maybe even a 3/4 ton could handle it if there weren't a lot of steep 5% & 6% mountain grades to deal with. There are lots of folks who tow bigger & heavier 5th wheel RVs around the country all the time. You could then even leap frog portions of the Great Loop. With a trailerable cruising boat the world is your oyster.
DSCN3667.JPG

https://greatloop.org/page/joinus

It's much easier to trailer the smaller 8'6" beam Albin 25, and we have hauled ours so many miles so many times to so many places over the past eight years, including last August from Phoenix to Buffalo & back that some on the A25/A27 forum have coined the new slang term "DA'ing" to describe such road trips.

Here's an example of one trailering trip we made in 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poewLOldXyA&t=5s

LaDolceVitaCruising.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”