• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newbie here

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
pablo54
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Tuckerton, NJ

Newbie here

Post by pablo54 »

Hello folks, thanks for grouping together and letting me in. I want to upsize from my EW 245cc to something with a bit more room and all-weather capability. Stumbled upon a '99 28TE a couple weeks ago, liked the lines and layout so followed that intro with a recent inspection of a locally listed '04. I quickly realized I need more informed and objective perspectives, starting with the pros and cons of engine box vs flush deck before pushing my search harder. I'm confident I'll find that here. Thanks in advance for your patience with a wanna-be Albin newbie.
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

Re: Newbie here

Post by DownEast2 »

Welcome, I have owned two 28' Albins, both had the engine box. At first it always seemed in the way but now I use it as a seat or table and it makes a handy table top while fishing or diving. I have never owned a flush deck so I can't help you there but I love my Albin and it's layout. Good luck.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I got a 2001 Engine box with a Yanmar, love it, but never been on a FD..

Here is a sticky thread on the 2 versions.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1226
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

Welcome! I was in your shoes last year... wanted to upgrade from center consoles to an Albin. I was initially under contract on an engine box, but it fell through due to some miscommunication with the seller. Ended up with a flush deck and absolutely love it!

Norsemen posted a thread that's extremely informative. The pros and cons truly vary... There are some engine box owners that swear by an engine box and flush deck owners that swear by the flush deck.

In my seach, I knew I wanted an Albin 28. I reviewed the small differences between the two and realized the placement of the engine did not matter to me. I was more interested in the condition of the engine and boat.

Although I love my flush deck I am positive I would have been equally as happy with an engine box. At the end of the day (at least to me), both are Albin 28s and fantastic vessels.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I have owned both, and they are both excellent boats. The difference between them is small and depends on your boating situation. The engine box model gives you a great table to work on, and good fishing platform and GREAT access to the engine. The flush deck has a lot of wide open space. The engine access is a little more difficult, and the chair for running the boat sucks. Two different deck lay outs but both great boats. I moved up to the 31 and that’s the way to go! Good luck and enjoy what ever model you pick.

Return to “New Member Introductions”