• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any advice on heading into survey on 2001 Albin 28 TE?

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Lucyhatch
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Manchester-by-the-sea, MA

Any advice on heading into survey on 2001 Albin 28 TE?

Post by Lucyhatch »

Hi All,
I’m new to this group and hope to own an Albin 28 TE in a few weeks. The engine is fairly new, 2018 Yanmar 315 with low hours. It’s the hull I’m curious to hear any advice on. Also, it has an Alaska Enclosure, not sure how well that one door will work with the engine box in front of it, or if it can be removed without harm. The survey is coming up soon and fingers crossed that my husband will have his dream boat!
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Any advice on heading into survey on 2001 Albin 28 TE?

Post by Norseman »

Congrats and good luck.
No advice on heading into the survey, but will be happy to comment on the survey after the fact, if any questions.

Good news that a new Yanmar was installed, but make sure you ask WHY the engine was replaced?
:shock:
(Did the boat sink? )

I have a 2001 -28TE as well,
Great boats, I love mine.

Fingers crossed..
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Lucyhatch
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Lucyhatch »

Yes, thank you for that, checking the hull is a concern of ours. From what I’ve read here and other searches - the 2001 hull is wood core filled. I haven’t found an answer on how to check the wood core integrity during a survey, other than obvious issues that are visual. I’m only assuming (hoping) that a 2001 engine was replaced due to age and hours.
Much appreciate your reply.
Thank you!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Lucyhatch wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:54 pm Yes, thank you for that, checking the hull is a concern of ours. From what I’ve read here and other searches - the 2001 hull is wood core filled. I haven’t found an answer on how to check the wood core integrity during a survey, other than obvious issues that are visual. I’m only assuming (hoping) that a 2001 engine was replaced due to age and hours.
Much appreciate your reply.
Thank you!
Checking the hull for a wet core is done by sounding the outside of the hull below the waterline using a mallet. Above and inside using a moisture meter.

If a diesel engine from 2001 vintage has been replaced, it has been done because of poor maintenance or latent defect. A well maintained marine diesel engine has an easy 10,000 hour life. Ask for maintenance records.

All the best in your search as well as in your hull and engine surveys.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Lucyhatch
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Lucyhatch »

Thanks Kevin,
Survey tomorrow, hoping all goes well. I appreciate your advice.
Lucy
Lucyhatch
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Lucyhatch »

The survey was halted due to an exhaust elbow braking during the sea trial, it has since been fixed and part 2 of the survey takes place in a couple days. We go into this with fuel samples that show high copper in the transmission samples, I’m told that is a big concern, and I’ve read that it is hard to determine it’s cause/seriousness without a history of the oil tests, but I’m not sure of the validity of that information I read on another help forum.
I’d appreciate any advise while heading into part 2 of this survey.
Thank you,
Lucy
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I’m with Kevin on this one. My 2001 with its original 300HP Yanmar looks and runs great. Press hard as to the reason for engine replacement. Perhaps other critical components may be suspect too. And what’s with the exhaust elbow breaking anyway. Was it not replaced with the larger engine?
Don.
Don.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

And what’s with the exhaust elbow breaking anyway. Was it not replaced with the larger engine?

Larger engine?
The Yanmar 300 hp and the 315 hp are the exact same engine.
The HP # was increased for marketing purposes by rating the engine for a higher horsepower using cooler intake air. (15 celsius cooler if memory serves right :roll: )

The 6LP-STEs @ 300 hp was made in Japan.
The 6LPAs @ 315 hp were made in the US, (A means US made, as in America)

The Yanmar exhaust mixer elbows have a limited life expectancy and the factory recommend they be replaced every few years, (cast iron) but most owners run them until they break 20 years later. No surprise there, hence quite a few of us replaced them with Stainless Steel.
(I screwed up: Replaced my original Yanmar mixer with another cast iron mixer elbow @ $512, then later realized a SS elbow was available from HDI for $450 or so. Got the SS in the parts bin now, almost hoping the new cast iron elbow will break soon:))
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Yamassea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk va

Post by Yamassea »

How did it go? Did you buy it? If so, do you like it?
GeorgeS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bristol, RI

Post by GeorgeS »

A good marine surveyor will do an excellent moisture reading on the hull and deck and pilot house once the boat is hauled, but you MUST get a written mechanical inspection by a licensed pro and all the maintenance records for the past 5 years . The Alaskan doors are there to keep the heat in the pilot house like in Alaska, otherwise canvas and isinglass zippered set of curtains works well. Dont worry about interference with the engine box which is further back in the cockpit.

Return to “New Member Introductions”