• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thumper

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Thumper

Post by Thumper74 »

Well..... I found a 25... 1975.. hull 2026. So either end of 1974 and finished in 75. I tracked down one owner (1994-2004). A older gentleman from Hilton head SC. Retired air force pilot. He took thumper to the Bahamas every winter. The gentleman (Tom) passed away in 2011 @ 86yrs young. Wow, I don’t know where to begin really. Little boat needs some TLC. The engine is nothing like I have found while scouring the rabbit hole of the web. It’s blue. Has a crank to start. (Saab ?? 10hp???) cylinder head is MIA. But there is a Saab 10hp gsp blue motor in crate that came with it. I believe this to be a motor/sailer. As a mast is stowed under the little boat on the dual axle trailer. Oh boy do I have lots and lots of questions. I did find the manual on line, and have it downloaded to be printed. Also the service manual for the Saab motor. It appears the galley has been remodeled. The sink is out of place and that famous 2 burner stove is now movable. I’ve looked at several interior pictures, and they all tend to show the stove under the counter and sink to the right side. A hard top has been added through the years. And two solar panels. It appears to have a freezer (small chest type on port side just before v berth). The boat has Florida numbers with registration stickers starting in 2016-2019. No anchor. No chain. Several cleats have been lifted with plywood underneath. Four of those leak. ( water stains on upholstery) all cushions appear useable for now. It appears to have had two windshield wipers. But port side was removed. Wires are still in place above the helm. This is my very first little ship.. Besides owning a 14’ aluminum boat with a 6hp Johnson ... was thinking a danforth anchor and stainless chain (easier to spot cracks and not have so much scaling build up ) The hull needs sanding and painting. The thru hulls and seacocks will be replaced. New hoses with stainless hose clamps. I’ve read that the screws used inside the v berth and aft cabin were not stainless and tended to just rust away. So I see wood work in my future. The stern is not flat. Kind of rounded. A full swim platform is installed,but the screws are rusty and it’s a little wobbly..on the hard top there is a hatch above the helm. Also the engine cover had a perfect little hole, but was boxed over (assuming to make room for the cylinder on the Saab). Goal for thumper, to learn all I can about this little fun economical boat.. use for coastal cruising, and one day the all mighty “loop”. Very new to the forum setting. Once I figure out how to upload pictures from this iPad, I’m sure a lot of you sailors and mermaids will open up with valuable info,and golden nuggets of things to do, and remodeling ideas.

P.s. is a electric head good or bad?

Let’s bring “”thumper”” back to life.......
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Thumper

Post by dkirsop »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a project this winter. Most of the original screws used in the A25 cabins were bronze. There are still a few holding woodwork together in my boat. There is lots of help and good information on this site.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Oh yes. I plan to read a lot of threads, and do some studying. And of course, a few questions along the way. But will be well worth it in the end
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Welcome, lkymnky…there’s a story.

Is it a Saab or a Sabb engine? Does it have a receptacle to place a “cigarette” to preheat the cylinders? George Buehler wrote fondly of the Sabb engine.

You basically have a near blank canvas. No limit to what you can make of it. And it doesn’t need to break the bank if you want to learn new skills.

The WillieC is our first and prolly our last boat. (We did check out a 30’ double ender woodie earlier this week that used to serve as a BC mailboat. Don’t tell anyone.). You’ll figure out how to post pics soon enough. Don’t worry about picture orientation. Later.

That engine is interesting. Ten hp sounds woeful, but may look good on paper. See Buehler again. Maybe on a calm lake with no particular place to go.

Where to begin? Take your time but don’t think everything needs to be done in order to splash it.

Welcome to the group. We look forward to your inquiries and progress reports!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, lkymnky! Here are instructions for uploading photos: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12189
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

Williec. Here is a picture of motor. I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Nicely done! Yes, that is a Sabb. Buehler spoke highly of them.

That will need some research if you plan on using it. Not saying no, just know what you are in for in terms of parts and pieces, replacement costs. But a hand cranker might get old. Especially if it’s under a lid. There are great videos of old Norsemen cussing away trying to get one running. We’ll I’m assuming they’re cussing. Maybe they’re discussing the weather.

Good luck, keep us posted. I am following this with great interest.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome to the forum. You are now officially an Albineer, and I see all sorts of new tools in your future. We'll look forward to following the thumper's progress, and to a video of that Sabb engine thumping away.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Ditto what the other esteemed shipmates said. 10 HP looks to be quite underpowered. If the boat is 1974 or '75 that means it's the semi-displacement version that originally had a 36 HP Volvo MD3B or MD17C. Can't tell you anything about SAAB marine diesel engines. Just know what they used to say about SAAB cars, "when you get a SAAB, you sob". Off topic, but one of our best sailing friends here in AZ grew up in Edwards, MS. That's the town up near Vicksburg where they filmed the closing scene in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
danmacn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by danmacn »

Hi, we bought an A25 last summer and I am just looking into the AOG for the first time. Saw your post about THUMPER. I was good friends with the owner you mentioned, whom we knew as "Duffy". I saw THUMPER when he first bought her, but we moved away soon after. I believe my brother, who is a yacht designer, probably specified or confirmed the appropriateness of the Sabb engine--I don't know if it came with the boat or was installed by Duffy. I think this is an excellent engine--simple, long lived, and easy to repair. Duffy took the boat to and from the Bahamas every year for quite a while I believe, so obviously the engine was doing well enough for that. If he bought a second engine without making changes he must have liked it. Most boats have way more horsepower than they need, and pay for it in fuel consumption. Keep in mind that you can put as much horsepower in a boat as you want and it will go no faster unless the propeller is capable of delivering the power to the water, something that is determined by its diameter more than anything, although pitch and number of blades is also a factor. Also most motors are sold according to the maximum horsepower they can deliver at full throttle burning maximum fuel, whereas you'd want to actually run them at a speed where they can run without much wear and producing the most torque for the fuel consumed. For instance my boat has a Yanmar rated at about 40 horsepower, but if you look at the torque curve it is really a 20 HP engine for practical purposes. I think the Sabb has an honest 10 HP. There is no connection between the Sabb marine engine company and the SAAB car company. Most Sabbs came with a variable-pitch propeller, which means you can adjust the propeller according to the conditions: more pitch for calm conditions and less pitch for "low gear" in heavy weather. I suspect it is the perfect motor for the boat. I see lots of pictures of A25's being driven hard and leaving large wakes--a sure sign of inefficiency. I see people pointing out how the boat burns "only" one and a half gallons per hour at top speed, but I'm betting they burn about a quart an hour at 6-7 knots, with the right engine. I suggest you try the Sabb and see how you like it. If you want to sell it, please let me know--while there's nothing wrong with my engine I really do think the Sabb is very desirable. It probably has both a hand start and electric start capability. I would view the ability to hand start the motor as a major safety feature. I'm glad to see that Duffy's boat has found an appreciative owner. He was a wonderful man and a great friend to the sailing and liveaboard community near his home in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He would be glad to know that THUMPER is in good hands.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Fantastic history for Thumper. Great assessment of Sabb as well. Thumper owes you one.
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Thumper74 »

danmacn wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:36 am Hi, we bought an A25 last summer and I am just looking into the AOG for the first time. Saw your post about THUMPER. I was good friends with the owner you mentioned, whom we knew as "Duffy". I saw THUMPER when he first bought her, but we moved away soon after. I believe my brother, who is a yacht designer, probably specified or confirmed the appropriateness of the Sabb engine--I don't know if it came with the boat or was installed by Duffy. I think this is an excellent engine--simple, long lived, and easy to repair. Duffy took the boat to and from the Bahamas every year for quite a while I believe, so obviously the engine was doing well enough for that. If he bought a second engine without making changes he must have liked it. Most boats have way more horsepower than they need, and pay for it in fuel consumption. Keep in mind that you can put as much horsepower in a boat as you want and it will go no faster unless the propeller is capable of delivering the power to the water, something that is determined by its diameter more than anything, although pitch and number of blades is also a factor. Also most motors are sold according to the maximum horsepower they can deliver at full throttle burning maximum fuel, whereas you'd want to actually run them at a speed where they can run without much wear and producing the most torque for the fuel consumed. For instance my boat has a Yanmar rated at about 40 horsepower, but if you look at the torque curve it is really a 20 HP engine for practical purposes. I think the Sabb has an honest 10 HP. There is no connection between the Sabb marine engine company and the SAAB car company. Most Sabbs came with a variable-pitch propeller, which means you can adjust the propeller according to the conditions: more pitch for calm conditions and less pitch for "low gear" in heavy weather. I suspect it is the perfect motor for the boat. I see lots of pictures of A25's being driven hard and leaving large wakes--a sure sign of inefficiency. I see people pointing out how the boat burns "only" one and a half gallons per hour at top speed, but I'm betting they burn about a quart an hour at 6-7 knots, with the right engine. I suggest you try the Sabb and see how you like it. If you want to sell it, please let me know--while there's nothing wrong with my engine I really do think the Sabb is very desirable. It probably has both a hand start and electric start capability. I would view the ability to hand start the motor as a major safety feature. I'm glad to see that Duffy's boat has found an appreciative owner. He was a wonderful man and a great friend to the sailing and liveaboard community near his home in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He would be glad to know that THUMPER is in good hands.

Hi. Well see…. The old Sabb ended up over heating and cracked the head. Someone got a rebuild kit from an old boat surveyor in Texas. No one can locate the missing cylinder head. Sooo a new Sabb 10hp was found, and purchased. I just gotta swap it out.

Somewhere along the way after Mr Tom passed away, the boat was sold a few times. Someone actually bought sails and all the rigging. I have notes from Mr.Tom to an owner explaining everything about thumper. I found a couple files from the guy I bought it from. It has all kinds of paperwork in them.

Thank you for finding my post. I am currently giving thumper some new life while maintaining everything Mr. Tom had invested. Several years have passed since Mr Tom had the ole girl. And she has been through a few hands since. Ole thumper will be back thumping soon, and I hope Mr. Tom will be proud.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
danmacn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by danmacn »

Sounds like Thumper is in good hands--Duffy would be pleased. I think you asked about heads. I've been in boats for 60 years and have lived aboard for a few years at a time so I have my own opinions. I would do about anything to avoid a holding (blackwater) tank. They almost always smell and then you have to empty them. Don't see much point in electric. On the other hand they are the closest to a conventional land based toilet so if you have crew for whom that is important, maybe a holding tank and/or electric makes sense. But for me I would look at a composting toilet. We had an AirHead in our last boat and felt it was superior to everything else we'd ever tried. Zero smell and it is remarkable how seldom it needs to be emptied. Costly, at $1,000 but simple to install. It also takes up a fair amount of space. The new Albin, as yet unnamed, came with a Nature's Head, which is about the same thing. It was installed facing inboard and this made it impossible to have a door on the head compartment. My plan is to turn it so it faces forward and probably eliminate some shelves in the aft end of the head, so it will be easier to use and hopefully allow a solid door. Another alternative is a bucket with a seat, which has the tremendous advantage of being usable not just in the head compartment but also in the cockpit, which could be nice in the middle of the night, etc. Off shore or in remote areas I'd just chuck the contents over the side, but in close quarters you could use waste bags, which solidify the waste and can be rolled up, sealed, and discarded with trash. Certainly the cheapest solution! Dan

Return to “New Member Introductions”