• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hi All

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Hi All

Post by Ed422 »

Hello all. My name is Ed. I'm 64, been boating since I was 5. I have crewed on various boats (mostly sail) for years and have owned various boats... from 8' self built boats to a Luders L-16 26 foot cold molded plywood boat that I single handed up and down the Chesapeake Bay for several years. I've spent up to 2 weeks at a time on a boat, and lived on boats docked in boatyards for extended periods. I'm looking at doing the loop with my wife... and my eyes are on an Albin 30 or something similar... not too big, not too small. I'm new to diesel engines. If I have anything to offer, I'll chime in, but I expect I'll be a listener for a while.

Hmmm, that's probably enough for now.
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Re: Hi All

Post by Patrickgoggin »

Welcome to the AOG! I have a 28TE and love the boat. I moved from sail years ago, first to a larger trawler and now to the Albin.

Feel free to review the past posts in the forum or ask a question if you cannot find it is previous posts.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)
BRISWISH
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Middle River, Maryland

Post by BRISWISH »

Welcome to AOG, Ed. I have a 28TE and am based in Middle River. I see your in Dundalk. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to swing by one weekend day and tour my boat. I haven't made it over to Hard Yacht Cafe this season and plan on it, so I may be in your area of the bay soon. It's not for sale, but could give you a different perspective in person vs. though pictures.

There is also an AOG Rendezvous scheduled the weekend of September 10th at Knapps Narrows. Here is the post: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=13627. You could always drive down for the day and check out the various models. Currently there are a bunch of 28 TEs going, a 31 TE, and and 35 TE. Last year we also had a 32+2 join the group. Hoping they see the plans and come again this year.

This community is a great group - knowledgeable and friendly.
Brian Swisher
2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck w/ 315 Yanmar - "Unleashed"
Ed422
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dundalk, MD

Post by Ed422 »

Hi Briswish, I put Dundalk because that's where it'll be when I get it. I live in Baltimore. I may hit you up.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hi Ed, how's life in Ballmore? Welcome aboard!

It's a common refrain we often hear form AOG newbies, "I spent most of my life in sailboats but now I'm older & it's time to move over to powerboats and Albins look like a good alternative". And they are.
oh-lord.jpg

From the smaller A25 & A27 pocket trawlers to the larger trawlers to 28 & 31TE (Tournament Express sport fishers), each holds an appeal to different boating lifestyles. The main thing they all have in common is they are old fashioned straight prop & rudder inboard diesels with skeg hung rudders, no gas engines, I/Os nor outboards. The main differences are in size, power, and speed. The old adage, 'speed costs, how fast do you want to go?' applies. Diesels run at lower RPM than gas but have more torque at those lower RPMs. Also you don't need to have an engine compartment blower that you have to run for 5 minutes every time you go to start start the engine, or deal with risk of volatile fuel vapors with diesel. But diesel has its own issues. One being condensation and bacteria growth in the tank. Another being diesels will not tolerate the slightest amount of fuel contamination. But treat them right and keep up with PMs and they will run for many thousands of hours.

Even though I've been out West in AZ for the past 45 years, I grew up boating on Barnegat Bay in NJ and have done some cruising on Chesapeake Bay, mostly on the middle Bay between Cambridge, Oxford, St Michaels, & the Nanticoke River on the Eastern Shore and Solomons, Patuxent River, & St. Leonards Creek on the Western Shore. First was with a group of Montgomery sailboat owners in 2002 back when I had a Montgomery 15 that I'd trailered out from AZ and again in 2015 when I brought my current boat, an Albin 25, across the country from AZ. The A25 could be a good loop boat if you didn't mind being a minimalist. You could do it in stages, trailering between sections. The loop is a very long, long distance to go by boat. The A25 with engine ranging from 24 to 36 HP depending on model year gets you up to 200 mile range on 20 gallons of diesel.

As always, with any photos posted on this site, to view full size just click on the photo.
BarnegatBayBoat.jpg
2002 Monty cruise.jpg
IMG_0916.JPG
DSCN2936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”