• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hi, danmacn in Maine

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
danmacn
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Hi, danmacn in Maine

Post by danmacn »

I bought an A25 previously named Lola Girl, from New Brunswick. Haven't chosen a new name, yet.. The boat has a Yanmar diesel and is in pretty good shape. We'll be cruising out of Rockland, Maine starting next summer. I have no experience of Albins but have had a number of other boats over the last 50 years or so and have done most of my cruising here in Penobscot Bay. I would be happy to confer about the local area if anyone is interested. I have no questions at this time unless anyone knows a good source for Albin stern rails.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Hi, danmacn in Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Hello!!!
That makes two A25’s to call Rockland home! You will likely see mine on my mooring in Rockland Harbor next summer. Hoping to be in the water before the forth of July. Funny you mention the stern rails, a previous owner of my boat removed them and could not recall what they did with them! Kind of a bummer. I suspect they are still in existence in the Portland area though. Penobscot Bay is awesome cruising, I’m hoping to run up to Castine and Belfast next summer with my A 25. Maybe even spend some time on Warren island as well. We did two camping trips there last summer but used my old cuddy cabin though.
Are you planning on staying in the water on a mooring?
danmacn
Swabby
Swabby

Post by danmacn »

Hi, I don't know how much you care about anonymity, but I will avoid using your name for now--I'm sure we know each other from South Carolina days and from our conversation last summer. We moved to Northport soon after we saw you and never did put the boat in the water due to the many logistics of buying a new house and dealing with the old one. See me on facebook and we can stay in touch. I look forward to seeing you on the bay this coming summer!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

danmacn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:33 pm Hi, I don't know how much you care about anonymity, but I will avoid using your name for now--I'm sure we know each other from South Carolina days and from our conversation last summer. We moved to Northport soon after we saw you and never did put the boat in the water due to the many logistics of buying a new house and dealing with the old one. See me on facebook and we can stay in touch. I look forward to seeing you on the bay this coming summer!
Hmm, I think you’re thinking of someone else. I’ve only driven through South Carolina. I’m wondering if we both may know the person you’re thinking of. Maybe? Lol
Anyways, looking forward to seeing you out there this summer! Warm weather is coming! I think! Lol
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

danmacn wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:33 pm Hi, I don't know how much you care about anonymity, but I will avoid using your name for now--I'm sure we know each other from South Carolina days and from our conversation last summer. We moved to Northport soon after we saw you and never did put the boat in the water due to the many logistics of buying a new house and dealing with the old one. See me on facebook and we can stay in touch. I look forward to seeing you on the bay this coming summer!

I ran across some
Papers from a boat association from up that way. It was in some old files that came with thumper. Now I think I recall seeing your name somewhere in those files. I’ll
Look and send pictures once I get back home. As I am a truck driver and currently out on the road.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Post by Fred Webster »

I know of that boat, the previous owners are just down the dock from me, (Royal Kennebeccasis Yacht Club). They enjoyed it for many years in Florida before trailering it here. I believe they re-powered it a few years ago. Albins are not very common hereabouts, but there are now 2 27"s at our club - mine is a 27FC and the other is the 'non FC', which is owned by the club and used as a race committee boat and other club functions.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

danmacn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:57 pm I bought an A25 previously named Lola Girl, from New Brunswick. Haven't chosen a new name, yet.. The boat has a Yanmar diesel and is in pretty good shape. We'll be cruising out of Rockland, Maine starting next summer. I have no experience of Albins but have had a number of other boats over the last 50 years or so and have done most of my cruising here in Penobscot Bay. I would be happy to confer about the local area if anyone is interested. I have no questions at this time unless anyone knows a good source for Albin stern rails.
I made a stern rail for my boat 2 years ago - another Covid project. I used 7/8 SS tubing and a 3/4 conduit bender to form the rails. Joints were made with standard fittings (no welding). As projects go it was more planning than complicated work. The end product came out strong and good looking. I can post some pictures if you are interested.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We always love pictures! Yes!
I am familiar with hand bending tubing, specifically EMT...nuff said.

Did you have issues with wrinkling? I would think SS is much harder than EMT.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

It is harder than bending EMT, or I might be getting older, but no problem with wrinkling. Careful measurement and pattern making is the order of the day. I'll post pictures and commentary once I take the cover off my boat; a week or so from now.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here are a couple of pictures of my stern rail fabricated from 7/8" ss tubing. Used a 3/4" EMT bender and SS stock fittings. It is strong and required only basic skills to fabricate.
Stern Rail 1.jpeg
Stern Rail 2.jpeg
The pole to which my stern light is attached is continuous from the deck mount. It readily come to hand when using the ladder so had to be strong. The pole mount is to get it high enough to be visible when I have my dinghy on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Looks great, as usual. Well done.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Congrats and welcome to the semi-exclusive cult of A25 owners! What model year & hull variant? As you may know or will find out, there were two basic types, early standard "Albin 25" and later "Albin 25 deLuxe".The former were an early iteration with full displacement hull, pre 1973, and the latter were 1973 & later years with slightly modified flared underbody near the stern to make it "semi-displacement' with stock engine horsepower increased from 21 to 36 HP, as well as some minor interior changes mostly having to do with the engine box. As can be seen in his photos, dkirsop's is the early full displacement version which you can tell by the straight non-flared stern. Also what model Yanmar? That would be previous owner repower replacement, as Albin 25's came stock with either Albin's own 2 cyl AD21 in the very early years, or 3 cyl, 36 HP Volvo MD3B or MD17C engines in later years. Yanmars are good engines, in my experience quieter running than the Volvos.

These boats are very sea worthy, well built, and very fuel efficient with the one caveat that being round hulled they don't like beam seas and can 'snap roll' heel 20 deg port to 20 deg starboard in 2 to 3 ft beam seas. In which case best to quarter them, tacking like a sailboat.

Anyway, you're not far from were a late aunt of mine was in a nursing home in Bar Harbor and later Belfast in her last years before she passed. Also I have a cousin living in Hampden that we visited on an RV trip in 2017. Very nice area! Of course with just two seasons, winter and July, ha ha.
20170905_113605.jpg
20170905_144035 (1280x720).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “New Member Introductions”