• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello, from North FLorida

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palatka, FL

Hello, from North FLorida

Post by Maogwaicat »

Hi, I am DC, we are in last phases of closing on 2005 35CB and should be traveling home within the next couple weeks. I am interested in hearing about various systems and improvements over the next few months. Especially the brand and type of Stern Thruster that can be fitted on this fine Albin.

My previous boat ownership consists of; Sailing: Sovereign 7M , Watkins 27, Morgan '43, San Juan 28, San Juan 23, and Newport 30.
Power: Marine Trader SD40, Nova Heritage East SD 40, Grady White 25.

Education: I am a current Power Squadron JN. Past; 50 Ton Master, Past; RYA Coastal and Offshore Yachtmaster.

Cruising Experience: London UK to Jacksonville, FL via West Coast Europe to Caribbean. Later: Cook Islands to Australia, via Beveridge Reef, Niue, Tonga, Fiji.

Looking forward to cruising Florida waters extensively.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Hello, from North FLorida

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, DC! That's some amazing cruising experience you have.

We are also new 35CB owners, also 2005, as of last year. Which boat are you buying and where is she?

I don't know of too many with stern thruster. Not sure it's really needed especially if you have a bow thruster. I'd be inclined to live with it for a while as is.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maogwaicat »

"Seacheck", located in Urbanna Va.

The reason to ask about a Stern Thruster is I had tried out a 32+2 in Florida with both thrusters and I liked how the boat handled in tight quarters. My trawlers were twin screw and I liked the pin-point handling characteristics I had with two motors.

I will have on the job training with the trip down ICW in a couple weeks. Having a bowthruster will be new a new experience for me and I am looking forward to this new cruising mission coming up.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Sounds like a great trip! We look forward to hearing about it!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maogwaicat »

Departed Urbanna, Va at 1430, Thursday heading towards Deltaville and Portsmouth via the Chesapeake. Turns out the bilge pumps were completely inop, good thing I bought a portable bilge pump with hose and alligator clips. Boat handled the Chesapeake very nicely at 14 knots with quartering wind and seas. We made Portsmouth and stopped at a local marina at 1930. The marina was closed so we tied up to the fuel dock awaiting the morning. We were under way at 0930 heading for the Dismal Swamp. After waiting 40 minutes we cleared a railway bridge and proceeded to the North Lock arriving at about 1115. We then moseyed down a thoroughly enjoyable canal at 6 knots arriving at the South lock at 1515. Winds were picking up and we heard that the Alligator river bridge across the Albemarle Sound would probably be unable to open for us so we ducked into Lamb's Marina in Camden, NC. Buck a foot for the night and good pricing on diesel, we stayed two nights. Larry is a complete boating Gentleman! We departed Sunday and crossed a very sporty Albemarle Sound with fifteen knot winds from the Northwest. Passed the Alligator River bridge we rapidly made our way towards Oriental. It was a beautiful passage, we only ran aground once, for a brief minute or two. Oriental has the greatest Marina/Resort and we had a grand evening. The resort even provided towels for the showers... Anyway, underway for Beaufort at 0830, we arrived about an hour or two later and missed a turn on the river for Morehead City! We were now offshore and heading for Carolina Inlet going a brisk 16 knots. We arrived later in the afternoon and made our way to what used to be Southpoint Marina. It's now corporate owned so be prepared for three dollars a foot and pricey fuel. We had a good meal and prepared for another off shore trek from Cape Fear... Not. We got out past the mouth of the river and the Southwest winds were VERY bumpy so we came back inside the ICW. So we followed the ICW and the many No-Wake zones to Isle of Palms Marina where we paid big bucks to refuel and stay the night. No food and water for the evening, we had military MRE's for dinner. We were up and refueled by 0900 and headed offshore for Amelia Island, Florida. It was about ten hours offshore and we stayed the night. The fuel dock opened at 0900 and we proceeded to Palatka arriving at 1530. 550 gallons of fuel and approximately 60 hours underway. We still need a bilge pump. Good trip, good fun for over 750 miles.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Thanks for the travelogue - what fun!

How did you find the close quarter handling with just the bow thruster?

We also have a 2005 35CB . . . with three bilge pumps. The forward one is not working. It will be replaced, and we're going to add #4 in the keel bilge pocket.

If a bilge pump is all you need, you're doing great!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
Maogwaicat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Maogwaicat »

Nancy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:46 pm Thanks for the travelogue - what fun!

How did you find the close quarter handling with just the bow thruster?

We also have a 2005 35CB . . . with three bilge pumps. The forward one is not working. It will be replaced, and we're going to add #4 in the keel bilge pocket.

If a bilge pump is all you need, you're doing great!
We will be looking into replacing all pumps and I will want to have one in the bilge pocket, too.

As for close handling with just bow thruster; While docking I went slowly and stopped forward/backward motion often and tried to keep control until bowthruster authority could be confidently adjusted. I haven't noticed the prop walk that I read Albin's are famous for, it would be nice if I could count on the propeller easing the stern to the right when backing down. Boat handling is just a process and the big key is being confident.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

While rummaging through the spare parts bin that came with the boat, I discovered a new cartridge for the Johnson bilge pump in the forward compartment. This should simplify the project. We scoped out the situation today. The pump is within reach as long as you're lying down 🙄 and the wiring, although kind of hidden, looks manageable.

Sounds like the stern thruster slide down your priority list. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “New Member Introductions”