• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

coolant drain plugs; where?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego Ca

coolant drain plugs; where?

Post by 195752 »

Anybody know all the drain plugs to drain coolant for 6pla Yanmar engine and how successful were you in removing all the old fluid? What coolant do they recommend for the 6pla engine?
Thank you much and have a great summer on the water.
Roy
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: coolant drain plugs; where?

Post by Norseman »

There is 2 drain cocks that I know of, one on each side of the engine.
I was never able to access the Starboard one, too hidden or too something.
Instead I use just the Port one.
It won’t completely drain the coolant so to clean the system I keep filling up with reverse osmosis filtered water, or distilled water, until the fluid comes out clear.
Very slow draining, it takes hours and hours, but my labor is free. :shock:
Also changing zincs at the same time, have to pull hoses and end caps to do a full service and better to drain the coolant first.

As far as the recommended coolant: I forgot the name, but Trex, or Drex something: It is bright orange and these Yanmar engines are very picky on the correct coolant to prevent corrosion. Use the wrong coolant and you are sitting on a ticking time bomb.
Do a quick search on this forum for the correct coolant: I probably mentioned it in a sticky thread called “Repairs, improvement and Maintenance Albin 28TE”
Or some such thing.
Lots of good info about stuff I learned and from other owners who have chipped in.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: coolant drain plugs; where?

Post by Norseman »

The coolant I use is Castrol Transmax, Dex/Merc.

Tried to post a picture of the container, but is seems the “Manage Attachment” function is disabled, or there is a new way to post images?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”