• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Travel Group from RI

Rendezvous Coordinator - RobS

Moderator: RobS

Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Travel Group from RI

Post by Froggy »

I'm going to head down to Jamestown on Froggy on Thursday evening. Planning to head down to Essex Friday morning early. Anyone else headed down Friday AM that wants to join up?

Coming back up Sunday AM.

Carl
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Re: Travel Group from RI

Post by powerboater56 »

Carl,
My boat OTTER is moored in Jamestown so perhaps we can go down together on Friday. Frankly, I haven't really started to plan the trip so I'm not sure how long it is to get there. What speed do you cruise? Depending on sea conditions, I usually cruise about 17- 18 knots, although OTTER will cruise up to 20 knots with no problem. The boat doesn't feel like it is running efficiently at less than 16 knots so I try to keep it at 16 knots or a little higher.

OTTER is moored in the east side just south of the Newport Bridge. Were you planning to spend Thursday night in Dutch Harbor or on the east side?

John Schieffelin
2005 35CB OTTER
401-423-0133
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

Hi John,

I thought I'd spend the night at Coninicut Marina and then head out Friday AM pretty early to get down there before the wind blows up. I was thinking something like 7 AM to get underway but am flexible.I'm going for sure but the weather has to be a bit cooperative as I have no desire to pound myself to death getting there.

We'll see each other a lot during the cruise but would like to invite you to join us for dinner in Jamestown Thursday evening.

I cruise at 17 +/- knots (2800 rpm +/-). Much over 3000 rpm (19 knots or so) and I get an annoying amount of vibration. I figured about 75 miles from Riverside so, say 60 +/- from Jamestown although some others have said it's a bit more so I figure a 4-5 hour run.

Would be great to cruise down with you.

Carl Helmetag
Froggy
1993 28 TE
401-451-0870
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by powerboater56 »

Carl,
That sounds great. I'd love to get together for dinner In Jamestown on Thursday.

Leaving at 7:00 AM on Friday is possible for us, although I have to plan ahead a bit since the launch service I use to get to my boat is off duty that early. I'm sure I can figure out something.

I agree about the trip depending on decent conditions. I don't like to beat up my boat or myself if it's rough, and the section between Pt. Judith and Watch Hill can be very unpleasant.

I don't know how familiar you are with Jamestown restaurants, but there are several pretty good places. Trattoria Simpatico is very popular, and usually quite good. Tricia's Tropi Grille is a little less expensive, usually OK food but not too consistent. The Oyster Bar has disappointed us several times in the past 12 months. Chopmist Charlie's is the farthest from the waterfront, but we find it to be reliably good and not too expensive. There is a saloon (gin mill?) called the Narragansett Cafe but I'm not certain if they serve food there.

Looking forward to this
John & Linda Schieffelin
35 CB OTTER
401-423-0133
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Froggy »

HI John and Linda,

Trattoria Simpatico is fine. Let's try Chopmist Charlies. I've eaten at the others but never tried Chopmist.

I'll coordinate times with you but let's say 6:30 PM for now. No problem if we leave a bit later Friday. Really depends on the wind and sea conditions.

Should be fun. Looking forward to meeting you and Linda.

Carl
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I am leaving Wickford Thursday morning for Essex and my route, going inside Fischer Island, computes out to 58 NM to Saybrook. It's another couple of miles up the river to Essex. If you want to call me Thursday night I'll fill you in on conditions. We did this run last year in September and it was pretty easy if you leave early. We were there for lunch. Cell phone 401-965-7690.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
powerboater56
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by powerboater56 »

Carl,
Chopmist Charlie's 6:30 Thursday sounds fine. Linda and I look forward to meeting you.

Ric, thanks for offering to provide up to date condition report on Thursday night. we'll call.

Let's hope for good weather. Sounds like a fun weekend.

John & Linda Schieffelin
cell 401-338-3589
35 CB OTTER

Return to “Third Annual New England AOG Rendezvous 2009”