• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any Albinos In Maine?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Any Albinos In Maine?

Post by Norseman »

Got this half baked idea buying a summer house in Maine, need to escape the hot Florida summer and hurricane season.
I probably won’t bring my Albin, but may get a little 18’ power boat in Maine to play around with.
Found a property for sale in a town called Bucksport, looks good and the price is right. The town is waterfront, but the house is not,
Would appreciate any local advice. (Yes it gets cold in the winter, but will be back in Florida then)
Property price seems good and the taxes seems ok, $2,450, I guess.
(Compared to South Florida Anyways, paying out the nose here, I should own ever school in the county based on my tax bills over the years. :shock: )
Anybody live in, or near Bucksport..?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Any Albinos In Maine?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Not so half baked! Obviously from my tagline I'm not anywhere near Maine, but I have a cousin in Hampden and a 96 year old elderly aunt in a nursing home in Belfast, both not far from Bucksport. Back in the day my aunt had a "camp", aka rustic summer cabin, on a "pond", which to us would be a lake, somewhere near Bangor. It's long since been sold to help pay for the nursing home. Once she retired & was still healthy she alternated between spring & fall in Plaistow, NH, winters in Lakeworth, FL, and a few weeks in summer at her camp near Bangor. But my understanding is the long running joke about Maine is there's two seasons, winter & July. We were last there visiting around Labor Day, 2017 & it was very nice. Bucksport is right outside Bangor & close to Mount Desert (pronounced like 'dessert') Island & "Bah Hahbah". Also I have a half-brother in Ft. Pierce, FL who works at the Pursuit Boats factory.
20170905_143651.jpg
20170905_144035.jpg
Delaware is not as cool in summer as Maine, but property taxes are cheap & there's no sales tax & winters are survivable. My late parents lived in an unincorporated rural area between towns near the south end of the state and their property taxes were around $400 a year for a small house on 1.8 acres. Lot of boating on Nanticoke River & Chesapeake Bay. Plus it's about 1,000 miles from Lauderdale to Sussex County, DE vs 1,700 miles to Bucksport. And, if you swapped the 28TE for the A25 that's for sale in Tennessee, you could trailer it back & forth, have you cake & eat it too. Or, just keep the 28TE in FL & buy the A25 for ME or DE. It's only $12K with a nice 2006 aluminum trailer.
nanticokeMarineramp.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

About the "north in the summer and south in the winter" thing...

My brother the carpenter was working at a house on Long Island, NY. Granted, we don't get snow like upstate, or Maine, but we do get our fair share.

Anyway, this house had a driveway that looked like a ski jump - super steep! My brother asked the homeowner how he gets his car up it in the wintertime.

His answer: We go to Ft Lauderdale in the winter.

So, I'm guessing you'll never use the AC or shovel snow again? :)
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Well, I've got the half baked idea od permanately moving to the coast of Maine in about 5 to 6 years. We really enjoy the cruising grounds that Maine offers and we ski. For me it will be more mid-coast to Casco Bay. Bucksport is pretty secluded. We've had the boat up as far east a Camden, Vinal Haven etc. I'd checkout the Rockland area if you have any interest in hanging out in a little bit of civilization.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Bucksport is way the hell up there. Many years ago, I met my parents there when they were cruising in Maine. It took forever to get there! Granted, I was driving from northern VT, so no interstate. But it's only four hours from Boston and all interstate. Anyway, the area is quite remote and very charming. Gorgeous cruising grounds with lots of lobster pots.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Anyway, the area is quite remote and very charming. Gorgeous cruising grounds with lots of lobster pots.
Very much like the Pacific NW, except less steep mountains & colder in the winter.

Area around Bar Harbor, Maine:
20170905_113605.jpg
20170905_112342.jpg
20170905_115112.jpg
20170905_123521.jpg
20170904_094110.jpg
20170905_115112.jpg

San Juans, WA & Gulf Islands, BC

DSCN4801.JPG
20180627_164424.jpg
20180720_125701.jpg

Sunshine Coast, BC

20180704_175037.jpg
DSCN4193.JPG
20160714_102441.jpg
20190710_181136.jpg
life is short. Travel & cruise while you can.
...need to escape the hot Florida summer
Florida is for wimps. Hit 116 today on our patio, still 105 as of 9:30 PM local.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Thx guys, good info.
Still pondering, we also considered Wyoming and Colorado, but Maine is high up the list.
We lived 21 years on a canal in Fort Lauderdale and getting tired of hurricanes, lots of work preparing boats for a possible hit: I also help neighbors and have prepared as much as 8 boats.
The idea is to park the Albin in a boat yard and secure it before we leave for cooler climates in May/June, then return to Florida in November.
Good point getting something closer to home as Maine is way up there and we would probably be driving because of the dog. (Hate to put the poor animal in a crate and transport her in the loud and cold belly of an airliner)
No idea where this is going, if anywhere, but now with Covid-19 and being stuck at home we are getting cabin fever.. :roll:
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Maine is still a good idea, just maybe not quite as far north as Bucksport. If you stay too much south of there, you'll still have to think about hurricanes. Any chance you can take a road trip and scope it out?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm Maine is still a good idea, just maybe not quite as far north as Bucksport. If you stay too much south of there, you'll still have to think about hurricanes. Any chance you can take a road trip and scope it out?
Nah, hurricane season is here, can’t go too far from home.. :shock:
KODIAK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, Maine

Post by KODIAK »

Sounds like I'm the 1st to respond that lives in Maine!. I went to Maine Maritime Academy in Castine -not far from Bucksport, and a great boating destination. Bucksport was a mill town; taken awhile but now recovering and really looking up! Lot of comments re: distance to Maine, etc. State's motto (unofficial) "the way life should be". I wouldn't live anywhere else. Cruise the coast every season. Live in Freeport now (think L.L.Bean). That's 20 min. to Portland, 2 hours to Bucksport. And a great place to live during the covig-19 situation (check out Maine's stats on the virus). If the price is right on the house your thinking about, and LOCATION good, will likely appreciate. Not bad taxes either! Let me know if any further queries.
Win Pillsbury
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

KODIAK wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 pm Sounds like I'm the 1st to respond that lives in Maine!. I went to Maine Maritime Academy in Castine -not far from Bucksport, and a great boating destination. Bucksport was a mill town; taken awhile but now recovering and really looking up! Lot of comments re: distance to Maine, etc. State's motto (unofficial) "the way life should be". I wouldn't live anywhere else. Cruise the coast every season. Live in Freeport now (think L.L.Bean). That's 20 min. to Portland, 2 hours to Bucksport. And a great place to live during the covig-19 situation (check out Maine's stats on the virus). If the price is right on the house your thinking about, and LOCATION good, will likely appreciate. Not bad taxes either! Let me know if any further queries.
Win Pillsbury
Thx, good info, but we are not getting any closer to making a decision.
Guess we just got cabin fever from sitting in Fort Lauderdale since the corona thingy started.
I love the Bahamas and the a Caribbean, hence Florida is good, but tired of one summer hotter than the previous and as a result, more and more hurricanes with lots of work preparing every time.
Maine will probably be close to my native Norway as far as climate and tasty seafood, but far from the Bahamas.
How to have your cake and eat it too.? :shock:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Win P,

We've been having fun watching this home improvement show on TV about renovating/remodeling summer cabins on "ponds" up in Maine.

Norseman:
....but tired of one summer hotter than the previous
It hit 118 here one day last week & has been 110 plus for weeks on end. No rain since April. Dry heat of course, 9% humidity, but that's still blazing hot even in the shade. We have a swimming pool that has this feature with a fan spray head on the filter return which takes advantage of dry air & low dew points which by spraying water out over the pool helps cools it some by evaporation. Even so running the filter 10 hours a day all it does is keep the water from heating up above 90 degrees.

Usually we pack up and take our boat up to the cool Pacific NW for June & July but with the COVID not this year. Boat is laid up collecting dust in storage on the trailer & inside the cabin gets over 120 degrees with everything closed up. Can barely stand to be inside it for more than a couple minutes at time without feeling a heat stroke coming on. We won't see temps drop below 90 until after Halloween. It' not as bad as Saudi Arabia or Iraq, but close.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. We have a swimming pool that has this feature with a fan spray head on the filter return which takes advantage of dry air & low dew points which by spraying water out over the pool helps cools it some by evaporation.
Sounds good, we will come your way and check out that Fan-Spray-Head feature, need to cool off for sure.
Your better half is a good cook?
If so, we could always stay for a while. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”