• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus 23kgf

Kokomo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Mashpee Ma

Vetus 23kgf

Post by Kokomo »

Hello, I am curious to hear from someone who has a 28TE with a Vetus 23 KGF thruster. Mine turns but doesn't move much water and if the wind is blowing forget it. It's pretty much useless. I don't know if there is a problem with it or it's just underpowered for the boat. Thanks
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: San Diego Ca

Re: Vetus 23kgf

Post by 195752 »

Your prop on the thruster could have a broken pin or the prop itself could have worn the keyway. It is only plastic. get in the water and pull off the prop. Should be a 10mm deep socket with extension and ratchet. Roy
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Kokomo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:53 am Hello, I am curious to hear from someone who has a 28TE with a Vetus 23 KGF thruster. Mine turns but doesn't move much water and if the wind is blowing forget it. It's pretty much useless. I don't know if there is a problem with it or it's just underpowered for the boat. Thanks
I got an Albin 28TE with a Vetus bow thruster, a 5512.
Plenty power for my use, been docking in 25-30 knot wind conditions,
Never had a need for a more powerful thruster, trying not to go out in hurricanes. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mason Neck, VA

Post by MerryKate »

Kokomo - yes, the 23kgf Vetus doesn’t do much against a significant wind. Needs help backing & filling in those conditions.
Kokomo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Mashpee Ma

Post by Kokomo »

Thanks I appreciate the input. I ordered a prop kit from Defender to replace some worn parts hopefully that will help. The kit came from the Netherlands as it is no longer available anywhere else. There are only 12 kits remains in their inventory.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by MerryKate »

I replaced the brushes in mine this year. Hard to find and expensive. Had to go through the US distributor in FL and sourced from Vetus in Netherlands.
Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tarpon Springs, Florida

Post by Albin28McKinney »

not sure if you replaced the brushes yourself but I took my motor off and took it to my local starter shop. They cleaned it up and sanded the sides of the brushes which were sticking and the thruster works like new again.
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by MerryKate »

Yes I did it myself - pretty easy. Mine were worn almost to nubs. While waiting for new ones, I actually modified the old ones a bit to make contact and continued using the thruster until installing the new set. It was something like $350, but better than replacing the whole thruster.
Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tarpon Springs, Florida

Post by Albin28McKinney »

that's good to know. I believe I will do it myself next time
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Reading about changing brushes reminded me of 2 recent tool repairs, all to do with electric motors; a dremel tool and 13" bench planer. In each case, the tool quit under moderate load. I took apart the motors, polished the brushes, and most important, cleaned the contacts on the armatures (the commutators) with some 220 grit wet/dry paper and CorrosionX spray. (I bench tested the armatures before cleaning, both good)

I mentioned this because the brushes aren't the only parts which benefit from servicing. If removing the armature is impractical, sometimes you can get to the commutation bars through the holes where the brushes go in. In the case of my bench planer, I saved a $400 tool and a day of lost productivity. A bow thruster is even more time and money.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Back in the day, when all was great, a proper brush job involved polishing the commutator, new fitted brushes and springs AND putting a slight bevel on the commutator segments. Did it really do any good as to increased longevity? In this throw away world I doubt there is enough data to make any comment.

I wonder if all the DC powered elevators get this treatment? I should have paid more attention, but I was the AC guy.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Today I learned! Is the slight bevel to prevent the individual comutator bars from touching/shorting? I imagine carbon from the brushes could bridge the gap, which is probably what caused the failures in my case. For both tools, they were well below their expected service life. Only the 2nd time I ever used the dremel!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
MerryKate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by MerryKate »

when you remove the brushes, blow out everything thoroughly with an air compressor (wear a dust mask and do it outside!). Then clean the commutator contacts with very fine sandpaper. Else take it to a local motor shop and have them do it. These thrusters are very fixable and maintainable - if you can still find the parts.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I have Vetus 23 kgf and it is weak but works well, i cannot pivot off a dock if the wind is strong,but I’ve learned to work with it and it’s been fine.Good luck!
KevinJ
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: massapequa, new york 11758

Post by KevinJ »

For all concerned about Vetus thrusters, their prices are absurd if you can find the parts. Being a retired shop teacher my thruster wasn't working so I did as any shop teacher would do. I pulled the motor and opened it up, brushes shot beyond repair including the holders. It's a DC motor so off to the golf cart sales and repair facility near me ( Long Island New York ). Showed them what I had and in a couple of minutes the guy returns with a whole plate, holder brushes and all. It wasn't exact but it fit and worked. It pushes the bow of my 32 Albin Sportfish with no problems. Oh! total cost 0 the guy said he had a pile of old stuff like that in the back. They wouldn't even let me buy Lunch.
My experience with thrusters is it's almost always brushes or low battery.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”