• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dehumidifier anybody?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Dehumidifier anybody?

Post by Norseman »

But of course also a result of the rising temperature: Warm air can hold more moisture, hence the % goes down with temperature going up.
Oh well
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Just thinking out loud, you might be able to get a rubber stopper from Lowes in the specialty hardware section so when you drill your hole you can plug it up in case you want to temporarily free up your sink while still running the unit. I know they have larger ones, like 3/4", but I can't remember if they have small ones.

Gettin
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

nebulatech wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm Just thinking out loud, you might be able to get a rubber stopper from Lowes in the specialty hardware section so when you drill your hole you can plug it up in case you want to temporarily free up your sink while still running the unit. I know they have larger ones, like 3/4", but I can't remember if they have small ones.

Gettin
Yup, rubber stopper should be easy enough.

Got other problems however:
The guest boat (rental) at my dock overloaded a circuit and popped a GFI breaker so my dehumidifier and auxiliary fan stopped, so did the recording and the science.
In a nutshell:
My brand new small dehumidifier and the table fan used in the cabin records 56 Watts/hr.
It should be about $10 per month, very reasonable.
After a few hours there was an ounce or less of water in the tank.
Due to the interruption from the rental boat killing my 115 volt/15 amp circuit I have no idea how long the dehumidifier ran.
Moving the hygrometer around in the cabin however yields different results, less moisture around the dehumidifier machine, more on the other side.
I keep a fan running to move the air, will keep measuring.
Stay tuned. :shock:
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Post by elad9000 »

I tried running a dehumidifier several years ago. Yes, humidity did go down but the temperature went way up due to the hot exhaust from the dehumidifier. I did not find the dehumidifier setting on the A/C to be very effective either. Gave up and now just run the A/C.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Norseman wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:03 pm
nebulatech wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm Just thinking out loud, you might be able to get a rubber stopper from Lowes in the specialty hardware section so when you drill your hole you can plug it up in case you want to temporarily free up your sink while still running the unit. I know they have larger ones, like 3/4", but I can't remember if they have small ones.

Gettin

The guest boat (rental) at my dock overloaded a circuit and popped a GFI breaker so my dehumidifier and auxiliary fan stopped, so did the recording and the science.
In a nutshell:
My brand new small dehumidifier and the table fan used in the cabin records 56 Watts/hr.
Due to the interruption from the rental boat killing my 115 volt/15 amp circuit I have no idea how long the dehumidifier ran.
Moving the hygrometer around in the cabin however yields different results, less moisture around the dehumidifier machine, more on the other side.
Obviously your are trying to remove the moisture from the air but the key to stopping mould growth is the air not moving in the first instance. What i have done as well as installing a small dehumidifier is open one of the small windows above the rear berth. Gives a small flow of air and keeps down the mould growth in that rear quarter. I have also considered fitting a vent of sorts in the window above the table but haven't done so yet as i am concerned how much winter green water would enter!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am
Norseman wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Gettin

In a nutshell:
Obviously your are trying to remove the moisture from the air but the key to stopping mould growth is the air not moving in the first instance. What i have done as well as installing a small dehumidifier is open one of the small windows above the rear berth. Gives a small flow of air and keeps down the mould growth in that rear quarter. I have also considered fitting a vent of sorts in the window above the table but haven't done so yet as i am concerned how much winter green water would enter!

Yeah, but you probably have dry air compared to Florida where it rains every day, feels like living in a jungle.
I thought, perhaps wrongly, that keeping the port holes closed, and using a fan to circulate the air, and a dehumidifier to dry it, would be a good solution. Still in the testing stages however.

In 24 hours 1/3 or the reservoir is full, probably 250 Milli liters, or 8,5 Oz for the Yanks. :mrgreen:
BFEC134C-9E5E-4FB7-B094-60119C65B899.jpeg

Running fan and dehumidifier 24/7
22C63147-31E8-4FFA-B336-A99754A73F7F.jpeg

Total power use for both at 115 volts AC: 55.5 Watts
8E958795-6FD7-4137-98EE-2C974723B1D7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Humidity here is a nightmare. We are an island and you know what they say about the British weather and the rain!!

Humidity in the winter can be high - you can easily wipe a surface in the cabin for it to feel wet to the touch.

One other thing I use to keep the mildew and mould at bay is a simple mould and mildew wipe or even kitchen wipes, whatever I can lay my hands on at the time.

If you grab a damp white cloth, give the underside of the cabin above the cupboards a wipe. You’ll be surprised how much mildew is held here. Putting the fan in is a good call - get the air moving and you’ll see some good results over time. 👍🏻
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Putting the fan in is a good call - get the air moving and you’ll see some good results over time. 👍🏻
Yeah, always use fans, this is the first time I deployed a dehumidifier however.
Yes, I know you Brits are island dwellers with moisture in the air, yet your temperatures are a bit lower, no?
We run 31 to 33 Celsius in the shade, all summer and the higher the temperature, the higher the air hold’s moisture, percentage wise.
:shock:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Summer time can hit 37°c here regularly. We always go on about it’s a different kind of heat to somewhere like Spain where the air is dry and heat is tolerable. Here it’s just hot and humid - especially on the south coast.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:21 am Summer time can hit 37°c here regularly. We always go on about it’s a different kind of heat to somewhere like Spain where the air is dry and heat is tolerable. Here it’s just hot and humid - especially on the south coast.
Wow, never seen 37 in the UK, Max 27 perhaps.
You must be in a hot-spot.. :shock:

I am still trying to learn about this dehumidifier Business: After the boat was closed up for 24 hour with fan and dehumidifier working constantly, the % was 72.
Then I opened up the cabin, door and hatch board removed, gone for a 2 hour cruise and the humidity was down 10%.
B71B7404-B6E5-42BB-97F1-94833B5B07BC.jpeg
Based on the above numbers I should leave the boat open and ditch the dehumidifier.. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I also use silica gel bags. When full pop them in the microwave to recharge. They make a lot of difference.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tree wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:19 pm I also use silica gel bags. When full pop them in the microwave to recharge. They make a lot of difference.
Ok, good idea, thx
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

The A25 comes with several deck vents, the Beckson Vent-o-mate. I can't tell that they create a lot of air movement, but they are supposed to. I have to say that my boat feels dry inside:
https://beckson.com/vent2.html
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Ventilation and insulation is key.

Norseman, try a larger dehumidifier and you'll see a difference. You get what you pay for and at 55W you're just not paying enough....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

RobS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:14 am Ventilation and insulation is key.

Norseman, try a larger dehumidifier and you'll see a difference. You get what you pay for and at 55W you're just not paying enough....
Did not try to go cheap, the unit I bought had 1000s of positive Amazon reviews and is rated for 2200 cubic feet, well above the size of an Albin 28TE cabin.
It collects a cup of water per 24 hours so it’s working okay, just thought the numbers would be better. Too early to tell if the mold/mildew production has decreased.

Return to “General Discussion”