• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wet Stringers

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bpinard
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: New Bedford, MA USA

Wet Stringers

Post by Bpinard »

Has anyone done a moister reading on stringers specifically near engine mounts? I had one done recently and got a high reading, not sure but guessing where bolts connect engine mount plates to stringers. How would one remedy that?
Bob Pinard
2002 28TE
Barefoot - New Bedford, MA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Wet Stringers

Post by Norseman »

Never tried the moisture meter on the stringers, but good idea.
What is inside the stringers, anybody knows?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Bpinard
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: New Bedford, MA USA

Post by Bpinard »

Typically wood core at mid and stern sections, some Albins have foam core near mid section.
Bob Pinard
2002 28TE
Barefoot - New Bedford, MA
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

First let me say it might not be a problem at all. Before you loose a lot of sleep, do your homework. Do you remember specifically what the moisture reading was? I can't remember exactly, but I think 30% is problematic. As a comparison, kiln dried lumber is about 8%.

The manual linked below is the West Systems guide. It has a whole section on stringers. I'm not familiar with the extend of your damage, but this guide is loaded with good advice. I'm sorry to hear the news. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Fiberglass-Manual-2015.pdf

If the moisture reading is high, the first thing I would do is take a core sample (it's easily repairable with thickened epoxy). I wouldn't bother with a hole saw, just clean the area with some acetone or whatever, just to make sure that your drill shavings don't get contaminated with other stuff. I would use a 3/8" drill bit and drill into the stringers (but not through the bottom of the boat!) and examine the shavings as they come out. Composition of the stringer, along with wet versus dry will become readily apparent. Drilling several holes, several inches apart will help reveal the extend of the damage. You can also buy a non-invasive moisture meter for around $35 at Lowes and take your own readings in several places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
ccboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Woods Hole, MA

Post by ccboater »

Bpinard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 am Typically wood core at mid and stern sections, some Albins have foam core near mid section.
Hi Bob,

I just had survey done an a 2001 28 TE and when the surveyor did a percussion test on the stringers in the mid section (in front of the engine, between the helm seats) he said that it was 'dead' and sounded 'hollow'. I suggested to him that maybe the stringers in this section were foam core, but he said the rest of the stringers sounded solid and in his experience the stringers are all usually the same core. Your post seems to suggest maybe I'm right, but I'm trying to get more confirmation about this. Any other info you have would be appreciated. I have to make a decision soon about this boat and this is my biggest concern.

-Scott

Return to “General Discussion”