• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

6lp 315 yanmar 750 hrs ,transmission, shaft, prop, and rudder

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

adbmgb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Panama City Fl

6lp 315 yanmar 750 hrs ,transmission, shaft, prop, and rudder

Post by adbmgb »

Thinking about putting outboards on my 06 28te. What would the value of my yanmar assembly be?
I did it on a 26’ Bertram and it was very successful. I sold it and am looking for another project with a much better boat.
Thanks for any information.
Chipper
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: 6lp 315 yanmar 750 hrs ,transmission, shaft, prop, and rudder

Post by nebulatech »

Ebay has a nice sorting filter called "sold listings." Using this filter, you can see what used marine diesels actually sold for. I have no idea what your motor would go for, but when I was looking at repowering my boat, used (not rebuilt) motors were about 1/4 to 1/3 what a new one would be, condition and appearance having a large effect on the price. The other side of the equation is how long will it take to sell. It sounds like you've already been through it with your Bertram. If you want to turn it quick, there are people who will buy it to resell. Of course, you get less money.

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to repower with? I'm repowering my A25 with a 25hp Suzuki (hull speed, no planing).
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

Looking at 300 Suzuki’s. I think 225,s up would be good.
Thanks for the eBay tip.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Just FYI, my price on a DF300APLW2 is $18,940 from Lewis Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. (there are several models, all within $500) That's probably motor only. I don't currently do business with Lewis Marine because I don't want to go through the hassle of a reseller certificate (makes it tax free). However, if you're planning to install them yourself, and if this price represents significant savings, I'd be willing to jump through the hoops to help you out. I have no idea if that's a good deal or not. I've found that the lower HP motors, my "wholesale" price isn't much less than online prices, but most dealers can't sell Suzuki over 30hp online because Suzuki wants them installed by professionals.

The DF225TXW2 is $16,268.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
adbmgb
Mate
Mate

Post by adbmgb »

Thanks again for the good information. I have found a pair of used 300’s for about 28000-30000 with new fbw controls, although new 225’s might be better than used anything. The BIG problem is how to support the transom with the live well tanks in the way. And as you say, the yanmar might not bring enough to help much. Lot’s of stuff to think about.
This is the beginning of just thinking about about it.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I'm afraid I'm not much help when it comes to mounting. I believe what most people do is add an outboard bracket, which can support the weight and allow sufficient offset from the transom so the motors can be tilted out of the water.

One problem with outboards, especially 4 strokes of that size, is you are adding an incredible amount of weight aft of the transom. This could be dangerous with a breaking following sea. If the open aft deck gets swamped, the leverage of those motors hanging 3+ feet past the transom might keep the boat from recovering.

The trend in newer boats is toward outboards, but they are designed for it, with enough displacement in the stern. I'm speaking generally, because I don't know enough about the 28 to make specific statements.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “General Discussion”