• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Why my cabins no longer smell so much like old boat.

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Why my cabins no longer smell so much like old boat.

Post by DCatSea »

One of my winter layup tasks is to refresh the air in for'd and aft cabins. Process started today with a good go with an upholstery cleaner. The idea was initially to rent one, but Walmart had a sale, so I bought one, for a little more than cost of renting.

Results were spectacular. I'd hazard a guess and say that this is the first time since 1984 when the cushions had been cleaned properly. They smell a lot better now, and after wintering in our well ventilated attic I'll do them again in Spring.
As you can see from the attached pix, there was a lot of old tobacco smell, old beer, old food, diesel, sweat and f%#ts locked in to the covers. Much of this has now gone away, and the covers look like new. I suspect that a lot of crud came out of the foam cushions as well.

Before and after pix of water (and febrese detergent): 1) Dirty tank 2) The Green Machine 3) Dirty tank - left / Clean water tank - right
IMG_7782.JPG
IMG_7783.JPG
IMG_7784.JPG
BEWARE: Purchasing an upholstery cleaner makes the household honey-do list significantly longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Why my cabins no longer smell so much like old boat.

Post by WillieC »

I love the smell of old tobacco smell, old beer, old food, diesel, sweat and f%#ts in the morning!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Why my cabins no longer smell so much like old boat.

Post by DCatSea »

Just keeping the Admiral sweet.
Diesel aka submarine aftershave. Everything else is natural and eco-friendly.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “General Discussion”