• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Solar Install

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Solar Install

Post by Wfmdfm »

I installed a flexible solar panel on the roof of my 28TE. It’s a 160 watt panel and it charges the starting battery as well as the 2 house batteries. I am on a mooring so do not have an option to plug in. With this installed I am able to run the frig 24/7 without any issues. The panel was mounted using Chem.ink M-1 adhesive. It is there so stay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Solar Install

Post by Norseman »

Nice, but the panel looks small for 160 Watts..?
Should be plenty power for the fridge and everything else: I got a 75 Watt panel on my hardtop, with good sun it will pump 5 amp/hours + in the batteries. (Only wired it to the house bank, but the combiner will feed the start battery as needed.)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Wfmdfm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wareham ma

Post by Wfmdfm »

The control has worked without any issues. It’s good for 20amps. 20 amp x 12 volts= 240 watts. Rich does sell larger ones but this one seemed to do as I needed. I plan on a inverter to power the microwave as well but that’s another project. I don’t have much experience with solar. I was impressed that on cloudy and overcast days it was still putting out a charge.
2000 28 TE Yanmar 300 6LP-STE
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, Florida

Post by real550A »

I've been powering a 13' Burro camper with one 100w panel, for 3 years. It's been great, and keeps my 83ah battery up, even with the inverter powering a 700w microwave occasionally.
When I finally find that 27FC of my dreams, I will definitely add at least one, but probably two 100w panels. Can't beat that constant charge, while unplugged!
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

Realize this is late to the party and not sure if there is any question to the post.

IF we are posting a solar install we did 1 to our 43 this past season, but we were looking for something more than keeping a refrigerator or an 83Ah battery topped off.

We are on the Loop and wanted to get more than the 2.5-3 days at anchor that we were getting from our batts.

We have a house bank of 6-6V L16 400Ah AGM batts that run the boat at anchor. With batt management, we can come into an anchorage or wall w/o power, around 13-1400H and stay that day, the next & the next and leave around 09-1000h the following day.

We just added 3-220W Xantrex Flex, self-sticking panels, onto the top of the Hard-to-Top bridge roof. We have a Victron 150/60 MPPT Smart controller for the panels. Test runs at the end of last season in KY showed over 2.0kWh collection.

IF anyone is interested in more info on our install, drop me an email so I can offer more about the installation including pictures.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Nepidae wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:06 pm IF anyone is interested in more info on our install, drop me an email so I can offer more about the installation including pictures.
I think there would be lots of interest. You should start a separate thread and tell us all about it.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Impressive panel. Nice to hear it works well on cloudy days too!

Where did you get it again?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

We installed 200w of panels this year after thinking about it for some time. So far this has worked well keeping up with the refer and freezer which draw 6 amps combined when running. We haven’t had enough time without needing the genny for heat etc yet to see if this will be enough for extended time on its own but have been pleased so far. At a minimum it cuts the charge cycles in half extending the life of the batteries and reduces the need to recharge by other means. Over 600w sounds impressive:) In hindsight, not sure why we didn’t do this sooner.
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by real550A »

I have taken delivery of a 200w Renogy kit, which I will install on the roof of
"Fools Gold", when I get back down to Florida this fall. That should be enough power to maintain my starting battery, plus the two 235ah 6v house batteries for infinite anchoring, running a mini fridge, 12v Dometic chest fridge, and the occasional inverter operated devices. Can't wait!
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Post by BobHaze »

Following this thread with great interest. I'm working on the design of a 2 panel install for my 35CB. Challenges are a fabric roof that the PO said could be damaged by heat from a flexible panel attached directly on the fabric, and finding a clean path to run the cable(s) from the roof down to the batteries. The prospect of extending both charged time at anchor, and the life of the $1,350 8D batteries gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
Fred Webster
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Post by Fred Webster »

I have 1 40W panel on my FC27, and would like to add more and install a small refridgerator.

I'd be interested to learn where you have the mini fridge and chest freezer - I can't seem to find the space for them.
Maybe, you made some modifications to the layout?

Photos would be great.

Thanks,,

real550A wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 pm I have taken delivery of a 200w Renogy kit, which I will install on the roof of
"Fools Gold", when I get back down to Florida this fall. That should be enough power to maintain my starting battery, plus the two 235ah 6v house batteries for infinite anchoring, running a mini fridge, 12v Dometic chest fridge, and the occasional inverter operated devices. Can't wait!
real550A
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by real550A »

Fred- I plan on using the Dometic in the pilot house, probably under one of the front seats, for beverages and snacks. Not settled on the dorm fridge location, either on the bench at the end of the counter, where the folding shelf is, or I've seen them on the bench against the front bulkhead for the head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
"FOOL'S GOLD"
1988 27FC #454
157hp Isuzu 6BD1

Return to “General Discussion”