• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tools for the job?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Tools for the job?

Post by DCatSea »

I am making a concerted effort to "fix" some small (ish) gelcoat chips this spring, and also fill PO screw holes, preferably well enough to take new screws if needed.
An excellent "Practical Boatowner" article gives great how-tos, but also says to use burrs on an electric drill to open up the chips and holes.
Question: I know a lot of AOGers have a lot of experience doing similar jobs and wonder if anyone can tell me which are the best burrs to use on GRP.
Also, tips on fillers would be appreciated.

Ta.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Tools for the job?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

West System 655 G/flex thickened epoxy gel works great for filling screw holes and other small repair jobs. Resin & hardener mixes 1:1 by volume. Available at most boating supply sources, and as the 655-K kit version which also includes 2 reusable mixing sticks, 2 pairs of protective neoprene gloves, mixing pallets, and detailed repair instructions. For small amounts it comes in a pair of tubes. But epoxy being epoxy it's vulnerable to UV damage on exterior surfaces so it has to be painted or covered with gelcoat. Gelcoat repair kits for chips & dings are easy to find too. The trick to make them come out smooth and shiny is to cover the gel coat with clear plastic & smooth it out before it starts to cure. The clear cellophane is included with some kits. What's also tricky is closely matching the color of the hull by adding pigments if it's any shade even slightly different than pure white.
gflex.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Tools for the job?

Post by DCatSea »